MNScuba.com

Full Version: Weekday Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All this talk of Crosby and I'm in the cities most of the time. Sad

Who's diving in the cities on weeknights? I'm looking to get in the water around town after work. I normally have a buddy but meeting new and interesting divers is always fun. I'll also take advice on where to go.

I'm tired of Square and want to see nothing in new lakes.

ARCFLASH..... what do you mean nothing in new lakes.  Did you mean something in new lakes.  If the latter is true,  you may want to take a trip up to GILBERT..    Rick  from  Tall Pine Scuba  has done what I believe is the best lobbing effort in MN  to get  stuff  submerged with APPROVAL..

Helicopers,  planes, bus  boats, and iron ore trolley's    Most of it cabled  (find one, find all)  they are bouyed off to boot.

WE ALL NEED TO THANK RICK AND HIS FORMER PARTNERS FOR ALL OF THE WORK THAT THEY DID OVER THE LAST 5 years up there. 

ARCFLASH....  You will find  easy access,  clean water,  great underwater touring and cheap dining.

maxfactor
Hey arcFlash, 
Smith Diving does fun dives that alternate between Square and Calhoun on Tuesday nights, the next one is Aug 15th at Calhoun.  See their website under diveshops for more info (bring quarters for the parking meters!)
Air Down There and Scuba Dive and Travel also have fun dives at Square and other area lakes...Perch in Wisconsin is not bad (gets worse as the season goes on) about the same distance from The Cities as Square.  Look through the Buddy List for others in St. Paul area to carpool with too!
Other area lakes that are not bad....If you have a boat....Christmas Lake in Excelsior but look out for the 14yr old driving the powerboat :o!  That's all that I can think of right now...I feel a weekend coming on soon!  Dive safe and have fun!
LW
Thanks everyone. I'll check out Smith Diving.

About the 'nothing', well it was an attempt at humor. With vis <10 much of the time I look for stuff and find nothing. Don't get me wrong I still like swimming around but I want to swim in new places and find 'nothing'. Smile
I enjoyed your 'nothing' humor!  it appears that empathy can boost the enjoyment of humor at times...

what part of the cities are you in?  I'm in Brooklyn Center and have also been tempted to try some other spots a little closer than Square.  With a little advance planning, weeknights can work for me too.

Jon
Inver Grove Heights and I work in Eagan. I dont' need much notice. I'm planning on going to the Smith Diving Fun Dive tomorrow at Lake Calhoun.

I talked to Josh this morning to make sure there were enough people signed up -- planning to make it this time too.  didn't get any diving in over the weekend, so I'm getting cranky!  should be fun, since I haven't done Calhoun yet.

see ya around 6:00 tomorrow!

Jon
Calhoun Dive report:
Vis 7 feet. My buddy was a black blob at about a body length. But it's suppose to start getting better.
Divers: 7 or so. Friendly
Parking: 50 cents and hour in the parking lot right next to the north beach. Plenty of open spaces. Easy gear carry but watch for fast moving bikes on the trails.
Recovered Googies: one yellow mask, kid sized.

For a Tuesday it was a good time. I'll go again.
OK, so why did we forget to check who each other is?  (I'm terrible with names, but I try!)  (I was the guy who had the spare tank for Nicki...)

wasn't a great dive, but it sure felt good to get wet anyway!  had a minor gear issue - my watch didn't acknowledge I did a dive... guess I gotta just go by my puter stats then for the logbook!  saw lots of small sunnies, and one small walleye. 

got word after diving that DiverQueen was looking for us, but went to the other beach... guess we'll have to make sure she has good directions next time!  Wink
Hey now....I've never been good at asking for directions!  And I like cooking on the grill, and camping, diving and riding motorcycle....And thinking about >Big Grin too often!  Nah, there's no such thing as thinking of that too often! ;D
Pages: 1 2