MNScuba.com

Full Version: LETS SET UP A FREEDIVE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone, well...I'm in the mood for a little get-together.  So...who wants to set up a freedive somewhere?  I think everyone with ideas should post something and lets all see if we can get a group of people to meet at a lake for a day?  Maybe I could get it to run through GUDC, where I work.  But I'm not posotive on it. 

Alright, anyone with ideas (dates, times, lakes, etc) start postin'!

Thanks everyone,

JOSH
Josh,

I was trying to get some of the Wisconsin crowd to meet sometime this weekend. I guess the closest place between the two of us would be Wazee. I was looking to stay a little closer to home, but might be talked into the drive if there were going to be other freedivers up there.

Jon
Hey Josh,
Looks like I'll be going up to leech lake this weekend and should be able to talk my wife into a side trip to Crosby on saturday... maybe if I get to leech lake on friday night I could run to Crosby on Saturday, that's about an 80 miles drive.. we have to close up the camper on sunday so it would only be saturday dive for me...  I'll know more towards the weekend.
Can I ask just what stage of the game you and the others would be at.. (depth wise and such) Whether we were to meet at Crosby or you meet Jon at Wazee... Jon or I could better plan a day and know just what and/or who would be needed for safeties sake, i.e. whether just a drop line would suffice or a tether and dropline, or if we need Jon's diver retrieval setup, or would we need to line up some safety scubadivers.

corndogg2

I've been wanting to shed all my tech crap and try my hand at freediving.  I've never been deeper than 30 feet or so.  What are you guys doin? Sounds like you're pretty serious.  I'm in decent shape but I'm just used to being able to breathe underwater.  Then that thermocline is a whole other story.  Maybe you guys could teach me a few things. I've got another friend who would be down if we get an event planned.  This weekend is out though, my cousin has broken the unspoken rule and planned her wedding for labor day weekend.  Shame Shame....kinda selfish ya know.
If people are up for it I will plan on wazee this weekend, but if another weekend works out better I may stay closer to home- or go out and freedive some wrecks in lake Michigan.

Cornndogg, Once you dump the tech stuff you'll be able to buy a whole lot of freediving gear for every occasion.  ;D  You'll also spend a LOT more time in the water and have money left to burn at the end of the season- so you can go on a nice warm water trip to freedive. Wink Ever since i sold off my trimix crap my back has been thanking me- and so has my wife.  Wink  What I used to spend on a day of deep wreck diving now lasts me most of the summer. I can easily spend 6-8 hours, straight, in the water, with 10 being my record so far, and it only takes a few minutes to gear up.  Add to that all the ground you can cover and fish you can spear and it was  a pretty easy choice for me.

One piece of tech gear you shouldn't sell is your scooter. Scooters take on a whole new life when your freediving- read F-A-S-T!!!!

Fred or I should be able to double your depth in a day with a little practice.

Jon
thats awsome you guys, I am planning a trip up to crosby this weekend to SCUBA dive the truck in the Joan mine pit.  Maybe we could meet up at louise pit and dive the platform over there for a few hours?
I won't be able to make it over there, but maybe Fred can.

Just remember to plan your freedives FIRST, and your scuba dives second- so you don't bend the crap out of yourself.  Wink

Have fun,

Jon
I'm always happy to join others in the water for sure... being from between Fargo and Grand Forks I usually get to the Detroit Lakes area but sometimes get over to Crosby... crosby is sure the pond of choice but Detroit Lakes has some good water too.  I usually have tons of gear with me so if you know of someone who is just considering the sport and doesn't have any or all of the gear, I can sometimes help.
If you want to meet up this way, north of the cities, I'll do my best to get there.
Fred
here it is friday morning and I still don't know what's happening this weekend... sounds like not to many of the kids will be at Leech lake so may stick around here and do some more local diving.. maybe Paul Lake near Vergas on saturday..  looks like I may have to work saturday morning so it won't be until the afternoon.  I should know later this evening and will post when I do.. but if anyone is in the area, joining us at Paul Lake might be something to consider.  Maybe...
Fred