MNScuba.com

Full Version: Dive Scooter Question....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question for those of you that have some significant scooter and ice diving experience. 

I ice dive a fair amount.  I have been kicking around the idea of using a scooter while ice diving.  When ice diving, I do it tethered, one primary diver down at a time with a back-up diver (aka: rescue diver) on the surface ready to go with their own tether should the primary diver need help.  The tether gets quite heavy and the primary and or back-up diver could cover more ground with a scooter. 

Question: Based on your scooter experience, what would be the pro’s and con’s of using a scooter under the ice while tethered?

And… if I am going to do it, what would be the best way to rig the scooter?

Thanks
I brought up a similar topic with some of my scootering buddies, and they had some ideas:

Quote:

Quote:
All good points.     My personal preference would  be NOT TO USE A SCOOTER.
Remember the points about   battery life.  Scooter takes you far, runs out of battery... DIVER MUST SWIM or be PULLED BACK IN.     

Most Scooters are still to unreliable even in a no overhead enviroment.  Batteries CROAK with little warning.  Even at 1 or 2 miles per hour,  you cover way to much territory and can find yourself BREATHLESS....

Thats why I ice dive with C4.   Can't find the whole........ make your own.

Don't do it.

BESIDES,  HOW ARE YOU GONNA CARRY ALL OF THOSE TREASURES IE:  ANCHORS THAT THE FRIENDLY FISHER PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PLANTING FOR US ALL SEASON LONG.

I'm sure DQ  has an opinion but don't put much stock in its value as such.   I heard she's got some experience on Ice as she  slipped on it before.  But then again, that may just give her enough experience to advise all of us.   >Big Grin :-*

maxfactor   
who switched your Cheerios for "Feisty-O's" this week?  You're just trying to win a good thrashing aren't you?! 8)

I hope you are kidding.
C4 scooters are awsome for freediving! They greatly extend your battom time.  Just be sure to purchase the right one, and plan dives accordingly.  They work great for scuba, just as long as you're comfortable using them and you plan your dives accordingly.  I would probably purchase 2 of them however. 

And as far as picking up "treasures" underwater,  I have now seen people wearing back packs facing forwards, then put their BC on and move you computer to the left side of your BC.  This is much easier and safer, makes it much easier to control bouyancy, and leaves your hands free.

Just keep in mind to plan a very conservative dive when using scooters.  Be sure you have enough battery life to get you to your point and back, otherwise try putting on pony bottle tubing and hook it up to your BC if/when it runs out.  It will be bulky,  but will leave your hands moderately free.

Dive safe and practice using one in shallow water first.

Good luck,
JOSH
Josh...C4 is an explosive!!!  Max...I prefer my ice in my Pina Colada!  Tullibee...You have my permission!!!
C-4...that's a good one!!!  LMAO!!!  I could also use that for clearing my own path on the road!!!

I hope you are kidding.
[/quote]

that gives me a GREAT idea ;D I should carry my p.p.d.(personal protection device) would probably need 3-4 shots to make it out in early season and 10-15 when its alot thicker. Would cut down on the amount of weight needed to dive ;D I could get armor piercing tips, incendiary tips, and tracer rounds to help locate me :o the possibilities are endless ;D Thanks Joe for alerting me to the potentials. LOCK AND LOAD!

corndogg2

Chris, what are you doing when you ice dive?  Are you doing recovery and search patterns.  My only reason for ice diving would be to see the Minnetonka wrecks which can't be seen in summer or to witness the awesome vis like in Wazee. Setting up for ice diving is a bit too much work to just go under the ice to check it out.  If I'm gonna freeze my ars off I wanna see something!
Pages: 1 2