MNScuba.com

Full Version: FreeDiver Missing and Presumed Drowned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Florida Freediver and Padi Divemaster missing while collecting fish. Possible victim of ShallowWater Blackout. 

I'll assume he was diving solo.

Freediving solo is much more dangerous than scuba diving solo. We lose close to 100 freedivers a year, around the world, under similar circumstances. Most of them are spearos- who always seem to dive alone. There have been very few incidents in competitions, unless you are dumb enough to trust Pipin to set up your safety net, and they have a very good record in spite of the depths that they reach. Freediving with a buddy is critical if your pushing yourself in any way- and that goes double for pool training where another large sum of the freedivers who perish meet their fate.

There is a company that's working to bring a freediving safety vest on line within the next year, or so, to help prevent such accidents. It is a self infatng vest, like a C02 lifjacket that yachters are now wearing, attched to a wrist mount computer that will auto inflate the vest under certain circumstances. I've got one on my wish list as soon as they come out.

Jon
I read this on the CDNN site the other night. 

Maybe one of you free divers can answer this....

I just do not understand why you would want to purposely hperventilate yourself to the point of being just about  dizzy, and then making the dive.

I fully understand the part of getting as much oxygen in your blood stream, but not to the point of near black out.  I've watched the free divers do this and I know it works, but it seems very risky. 

Have any of you free divers experienced shall water blackout, and found yourself awaken under water?  I'm not sure if this is the right terminology for the sport, but from a lay position, that is what it seems like what happens.

If so,  how then do you know where the heck you are and for how long you've been blacked out?  Are you really able to gather your thoughts to look at your computer and remember the start time and current dive time etc.

Maybe I just have to do some more reading on it, but as I don't have a real interest in free diving, I just haven't taken the time to read up on it. 
thanks in advance

MAXFACTOR
First off, freedivers don't hyperventilate.  They do farely quick shallow breaths to get rid of the CO in their blood system, and to slow the heart rate down.

I freedive for the rush, and dive better when I'm in the "trance like affect."  There is more to freediving then you could possibly know, I read books on specific types of yoga and meditating to get the best possible dive, and to extend my bottom time.

As for the freediver that died, it's unfortunate.  It's a reality of the sport that people die, along with everything else in the world.  The best thing to do is realize it, and move on.  It is sad that they passed on, but certain mistakes were probably made and the diver most likely realized the concequences.  I do not practice diving alone.  Although self-sufficiency is highly recomended, it still isn't preffered.  I know people who are incredibly self-sufficient and I beleive that they could dive by themself their whole life and I wouldn't hold it against them because of he/she's ability to adapt and to completely understand his/her's surroundings.  Hi (blank) because your probably reading this. 

On a lighter note, Jon and Fred.  I did get my wetsuit today and I am very pleased.  I took it into 50 degree water and was as warm as could be.  Thanks for the help on me purchasing it.  Hope to get with you guys soon.

Quote:I read this on the CDNN site the other night. 

Maybe one of you free divers can answer this....

I just do not understand why you would want to purposely hperventilate yourself to the point of being just about  dizzy, and then making the dive.

I fully understand the part of getting as much oxygen in your blood stream, but not to the point of near black out.  I've watched the free divers do this and I know it works, but it seems very risky.

Have any of you free divers experienced shall water blackout, and found yourself awaken under water?  I'm not sure if this is the right terminology for the sport, but from a lay position, that is what it seems like what happens.

If so,   how then do you know where the heck you are and for how long you've been blacked out?  Are you really able to gather your thoughts to look at your computer and remember the start time and current dive time etc.

Maybe I just have to do some more reading on it, but as I don't have a real interest in free diving, I just haven't taken the time to read up on it. 
thanks in advance

Quote:
Fred covered most of it.

The breath up before a big dive has at least three different stages to it, and I won't go into all of them right now. I will say that no fast breathing what so ever to help prevent SWB. Your much better off going with a slow, deep, breathing cycle than any kind of hyperventialtion. I know that in scuba classes they teach you that you can hyperventilate 3 or 4 tmes and be safe but that's just because they don't know what they are talking about. >Sad

For a good breath up try this. Inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds. This will cut your breath per minute down down to less than 6. If they are deep enough breaths this will calm you down and relax you more so that you preform better on your dive.

This is a topic that could go on for pages, as there are different schools of thought on which method works best, but no one would think of using hyperventialtion in any way.

Jon
thanks Fred and Jon.  I will pick up some books and start reading up on the process.  I do find it very interesting and I am aware of the benefits of yoga.  Looking forward to being some support for you guys some day.

maxfactor
There are a bunch of magazines, books, and videos on freediving that you can get, but few are in English. The best one I've come acoss so far is this one:

Another option is to get the IANTD: Advanced Freediver Manual. There are a few shops up that way who teach IANTD and could order it for you. It was written by Kirk Krack and has lots of great info- just not as complete as the Umberto book.

Both books go into detail on proper breathing and hyperventilation is NOT part of either one.

Jon