MNScuba.com

Full Version: Waterway monofin purchase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I'll be buying a waterway monofin soon.  I just need to know what hardness is recomended.  I already have a pair of bi-fins, but I want the monofin to go deep.  What would you guys suggest?

I plan on doing more dives in the 75 ft + range next year, but I would like the rest of this year to get used to it, and maybe some dives in the winter.

Thanks always for the help,

Josh
Jon is really the monofin guru here..
but my recommendation would be soft or possibly medium if you're super strong.  A monofin moves a tremendous amount of water, just imagine a 1/3 sheet of plywood strapped your feet.  Using the monofin is a whole body endeavor.. and not at all like using bi-fins.. it's not even so similar as using a dolphin kick with bi-fins.. the first time out it will feel like your shoe laces are tied together.  But they are fast, fast, fast.
Your timing is perfect!

Waterway has a new fin out that looks like a real winner! It's called the NEMO and you should get it in the "long distance" stiffness. It's a top notch fin that costs less than half of what my carbon fiber mono did. :'( 

Kirk, MAndy, and Martin have all switched over to them. Here's a link on where to buy it:

Jon