MNScuba.com

Full Version: Time to pick Grumpie's mind!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Grumpie, and anyone else...
What's the best to lift with:  Rope, Chain or Cable?
Good Afternoon, It would depend on what your doing and lifting. Rope is very easy to work with and you get it with a breaking strenght of 3000#. its easy to pull it underwater and tie it off. If you drop it while your pulling it you wont  become overly buoyant and have a uncontrolled assent.
Chain and cable are very hard to work with because they are heavy and very stiff, sometimes you can take a small lift bag and tie it to the end of the cable or chain and float it out to where you working and let it down. I have tied a rope to the bag and ran it to a small pulley on the back bumper of a car and back to the shore and let the support people pull it out to the car and then connected it to the car.
We normally use nylon straps to hook a car and fasten it to the hook on the cable.
That car that I showed you pictures off, we pull a long loop of cable around the car and hooked into a clevis on the cable. Then we tighten up the cable and pull the car out of the river, the current was running about 6 knots.
grumpie
I've got one for you Grumpie,

Are you going to be doing any ice diving with the PSD's 

Any public safety divers doing any training that I can get involved with. 

maxfactor