MNScuba.com

Full Version: Florida Keys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm planning a trip on February 8-15 in the Florida Keys  ;D .  I have never been there before, so I am looking for tips from people who have. as far as cheap places to stay, good dive sites, that are accessible from shore ,and good dive shops, that I the can go on a charter w.  Also if familiar with hook and line charters, good places to eat etc.

We will be flying into Miami and heading south up and down the coast.  We'll be renting a minivan so if we need to sleep in the vehicle it should be a problem. :o

Standing by
If you have no set destination, I would recommend doing dives all the way down to key west. Starting in Key Largo, do the Duane and the Speigel Grove. I would recommend with Ocean Divers, as they do the Speigel daily. Next heading down I would hit the eagle, whic is a pretty cool wreck. Then I would head down to Big Pine Key, and dive Loee Key. I think that its the nicest reef in the keys, and the only place I ever saw sharks on a regular basis.( I may be biast cause I lived ther for a few years.) also on that island make sure to check out the Key deer... they look just like regular whitetail, but much smaller...very cool. as far as dive operaters go, use underseas inc. crappy boat crappy shop, but great staff..Also try to do a dive on the Adolphus Busch if possible..sometimes hard to find a charter, but really cool dive..lots of jewfish.You can camp at Bahia honda state park if you want, cheap and really neat campsites right on the ocean. Down to Keywest...the reefs I would pass on , but the cayman salvager is worth diving...Unfortunaley the worst diving in the keys in is key west so I would dive up north and party down south....Just my 2 Cents...

THANKS ! 8) I will print this and take it with ;D

keep em coming......
Hi Nate,
Rybonne, use to work in the key's ..SO his advice is as good as it gets.  Besides, he's a great guy. 

I too almost always dive out of OCEAN DIVERS. KEY LARGO...  but the last time I went, I did not.  I went over one block,  turn right, and use the outfit that has the boat on the other side of OCEAN DIVERS.,  just slightly behind they're boat.  CHEAPER, and easier boat to get around with.  A bit less crowed. 

Definetly do the Duane and the Spiegel Grove.  You may want to do the Spiegel Grove 2 times on the same trip.  I went thru the entire lenght of the Spiegel.  Relatively easy to naviagate thru the corridor, peering into the various compartments won't yield any great treasures, its completely stripped of goodies.  One little tricky spot, but you'll have no problem.  Deepest part of the boat is in about 135.feet.   I thinks its  555 feet long so,  plan at least 2 dives different days. BRING THAT FAMOUS CAMERA OF YOURS.    Also you may see some very large Baracudas.
Also, there is a spot,  which I will find for you, that is 99 bucks a night and 4 people can get bunked there.  Nothing fancy, but you'll fit in just fine.    THEN PLAN A SAT. night down in the Lower Key's  go to  SLOPPY JOES for Lunch, and the BULL FOR DESERT....
max

This is my first post on this board after moving to MN a year ago, so I apologize for not knowing the comfort/skill level of the OP or others. 

I'm not sure about the point above though.  The Curb, Wilkes Barre, Kendrick, Berry and Saufley are all out of Key West and are excellent dives.  The Kendrick in particular is an outstanding dive.  They're on the deep side though, so may be beyond comfort level.

T

Thanks Joe 8) The pm I sent you earlier was just answered by your post 8)

This is my first post on this board after moving to MN a year ago, so I apologize for not knowing the comfort/skill level of the OP or others. 

I'm not sure about the point above though.  The Curb, Wilkes Barre, Kendrick, Berry and Suffolk are all out of Key West and are excellent dives.  The Kendrick in particular is an outstanding dive.  They're on the deep side though, so may be beyond comfort level.

T
[/quote]

I am comfortable at 150 and would go another atmosphere  :Smile for the right dive or fish  >Big Grin How deep is the kendrick? Did you spearfish?
When I said that the diving in Key West is not nearly as good as the other lslands I was keeping the recreational diver in mind..... ;D
OK, my bad.  the Kendrick is at 325 or so to the sand.  The WB is at 250-ish and the others are deeper (Saufley is at 420')

Like I say, first post on this forum & although I've been lurking a while, I don't know who's who here or to what depths people are comfortable diving.

I didn't spearfish

T
Shooter just hit up any bait shop or marina on the way down, and they will have all kinds of spearfishing charters to choose from..Try Dolphin Marina on Little torch Key if you want to rent a boat or find a charter.... 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5