MNScuba.com

Full Version: 220v wiring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do we have any electricians out there?  I need some information on how to run 220v wiring out to my garage. ??? The garage is attatched to the house.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg ;D
Two of my cousins are......i have run 220 for an ac unit..and will run 220 for my welders into my pole barn..what i can answer, i will get the fact on....what are you trying to do...
I want to hook up a 220v 20 amp 4000watt space heater in place of my natural gas heater. The natural gas  cost is getting out of hand.  I have been told electric would be about half the cost. I have a sub panel in the garage but I think I only wired it for 110 when I ran the wires. Not sure how to set it up for 220v.

Greg
head to the store and pick up a 220/240 breaker and some 4plex cable..not sure of the guage but ask someone they will know.and pick up your 220/240 receptical box..wire ties etc....yadda yadda...you want to run a 20 amp..but i would put in at least a 30 amp
go home and TURN OFF POWER AT MAIN inside panel....basically you will be removing two free 110  breakers and installing one 220/240 breaker in their place.most really just snap in place..but there are other types that look similar so make sure youget the right one( keep in mind it just wont fit if its wrong)...you will also need to run the 4 plex cable..to your desired location and mount your receptical..........inside the box, its really as easy as hooking up black and red to the breaker and white..common(should be white) to the buss bar probably at the bottom of the panel..then your ground( copper wire) to the main ground...on the other end, wire your receptical...black, red, white(common)...copper ground..turn on power.............................................................now, i was not able to get ahold of any relatives so i dont know if you have to run it in conduit...i dont think you do...but it wouldnt hurt...i have done it both ways...at home...no conduit..at medical office..yes conduit.....

There is no reason that you shouldnt be able to handle this one yourself..but if you have concerns..pick up a basic home how to book from Menards or Home Depot...a couple of hours should handle it easily

Good luck

Disclaimer:  I am not an electrician and i offer this information only based on past personal experiences..i wouldnt listen to me because i might be crazy.........i wouldnt sue me as i have no assests other than my good looks.... Wink

Thanks for the info. I do have a advanced home wiring book but it does not go into 220v very deeply, just basic info. I will head over to home depot and get some more info.
  Thanks for the help DiveCaptDean ;D

Greg

Thre is an alternate method..if you use 3plex wire.....black and white to the breaker and copper(ground ) to the ground bar in the panel...also..use at least 10guage wire
gl
If you plan on having a welder in your garage at some time or a large compressor to fill tanks you'll need atleast a 50 amp system. I would run a 100 amp box and than branch of it.