MNScuba.com

Full Version: Snorkeler shot in Oregon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Snorkeler shooter says he thought man was a nutria
Associated Press
Last update: February 09, 2007 – 10:00 AM

REEDSPORT, Ore. — An Oregon man accused of shooting a snorkeler in the head has told investigators that he mistook the swimmer for a water-dwelling rodent.

According to a sheriff's spokesman, William Roderick told detectives he saw what he thought was a nutria swimming in the Smith River -- so he grabbed a rifle and shot at it from a deck overlooking the water.

After realizing that it was not a nutria, Roderick helped pulled the victim from the water.

The man is in serious condition at a hospital in Portland.

Roderick was arraigned Thursday on assault and other charges.
Lonnie,  I read your article.  Thats terrible. 

I wonder if any other divers when they were diving up at Crosby during hunting season, when you see guys sitting in the trees around the lake, or standing on the banks.... if they ever felt like any of the hunters have given you the willies... 

I've talked with several divers in the past, and they too felt a little less safe during those times.

Did anyone ever feel like they were scoped before or that maybe a nut case might take a shot at them?
Maxfactor
I've only been diving at Crosby once during hunting season and it was a little freaky hearing the rifle shots going off in the area.  Shotguns are one thing but high powered rifles are much scarier.
And THIS is yet one more reason why I use a dive flag :o
Yeah, it's not clear whether the diver was towing one but it would seem unlikely.  That said, look at how often boaters and jet skiers around here respect dive flags in the water.  :Smile As far as Crosby goes you'd be safer from gunfire in the water than out.  The dive flag won't save you from a stray rifle round when standing on land gearing up.
Stay down deep!

Mythbusters proved that a rifle round will lose velocity and be inneffective after about 6-10 feet.  Unless they're using an elephant gun!
I saw that episode.  Mythbusters is great!!!

Greg Smile

I've talked with divers up there a few years ago about the same exact thing...I've only been up there 3 times.  And yes, I do have an uneasy feeling about gunfire in the distance.  I know what shootin' parties are like...I've been to 'em before.  Nuttin' like a bottle of Jack and a boatload of bullets for a day of fun, eh?
Let me get this straight.....he wasnt hunting..he was on a deck and had to go inside to get a rifle..load it and then most probably looked through a scope to find a large rodent?  get the F@$K out of here.......the following is  only my opinion, and i have no fact other than those given..BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....WTF..he is on a balcony..there must be other houses around...as there usually is around water sources across the country...............and is it open season on huge water rodents in Oregon..so much so that you can shoot them off your deck..while they are in the water..when there are most probably other homes in the vacinity??????????????..C'mon..........pull that S@$T around here and away to the clink you go...this clown is either extrememly lack minded and should be put away before he again hurts himself or someone else, OR he should be charged with MURDER 1........this is just crazy........put him away and toss the key in the river..then ask him to go swimming for it......................

UNREAL!!!!!!!

ok..thanks for the vent
OK so I had no idea what a "nutria " was so I had to look. And this explains the open season on nutria's.

Pages: 1 2