MNScuba.com

Full Version: Flying and Diving Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the general rule for flying after diving is 24hrs. I am wondering if any one knows of any studies on flying after diving?

My particular question is at what altitude does flying become a problem after diving (assuming you are flying sooner than 24 hrs after your last dive).  Im no pilot so i dont know flying regulations but would it be possible fly in a small plane after diving if you stayed under a certain altitude??

Let me know your thoughts or any information you might know of researching this!
Did you check out Divers Alert Network?  Here's a start:
You would have to fly lower than 1000.ft, which would be tricky...... ;D
what do typical float planes/private small aircrafts fly at?
I'll try and find it but I think I read of someone bending after a dive when they drove over a small mountain pass and spent too long getting down the other side. Anyone remember that one, I think it was in a dive rag.

My thoughts are take a Sailboat.  Smile

This looks like what your asking. I don't know it's quality.
Most small non-pressurized airplanes (Floatplanes, and the like) depending on where and what part of the country and things like that, fly at around 5000 to 10,000 feet. Pressurized aircraft usually will decrease pressure up to around 8000 ft and then stabilize there untill around 40,000 where they then just maintain the same pressure difference. I don't know about any specific studies or anything like that, but there are Aviation regulations against flying after diving for Part 135 and Part 121 (Charter and Airline Operations)

Like I said I can't really speak for any studies specifically done on flying after diving, but I am a commerical pilot and I fly floatplanes so I hope I can help with any aircraft questions you might have. As far as nitrogen build up and release and the technicalities of that stuff I'll leave that to someone smarter then me.