MNScuba.com

Full Version: Local filters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am interested in what people are using for local diving regarding various filters underwater and the results they have been able to acheive.    I want to try different color filters to help minmize the freshwater color cast.  Given the cost of a good fliter, if someone has tried a particular filter before I could save myself some trial an error/cost.

Also, if you have tried using a tripod for long exposures underwater, if you can post what has worked best, (filters, settings, kind of tripod) I would appreciate it. 

Chris
tough to beat the filters of Photoshop, where you can pick and chose.  That was a real help, huh?  :Smile
I've been thinking of getting a polarizing filter.. I had one on my 35mm camera for above water pics and I was always happy with the results.
Fred
An very highly rated Photoshop Action can be found on the Adobe Echange.  It is called "underwater.atn".  I have used it many times and it works better than anything else I have tries. And it is free.
Thanks for the feedback.   I have tried a few PS underwater actions and the filters in phototshop CS2.   Most of them are designed for blue water cast and I have been less than happy with the results. 

I was looking to put a filter on that more closely matched the water in Superior for a trip to the Maderia and perhaps Isle Royale.  The on camera filter also makes it easier to figure out the correct exposure underwater.  Of course, the biggest reason is that I am pretty lazy and don't like the long post processing times required for our green water Wink

Thanks,
My 1 cent worth.

In my print/slide days a pro once told me "Do everything you can through the lens". Then a bunch of stuff about how the darkroom work was like patching flat tires. Your making due because you were too cheap to spend the time up front. (or some thing like that - I hope he isn't reading this ....) Anyway, I like the idea to "shoot the final product" thinking.

I suppose there is no chance of using any king of 'gray card' underwater is there? Say you could. Wouldn't you be able to take one unfiltered shot and then use your 'darkroom' to correct to 12% (as to standard in PS) and then translate that to a filter? I don't know Photoshop.

So, if you don't know the filter you could shoot one gray, first, shoot the dive, correct the gray and apply to all, right? You should be able to avoid buying a bag of useless glass and dial in on the correct filter the first time. But then, back to my pro 'friend'; "Why would I put a $20 piece of glass in front of an $8000 lens?" I'll leave that one alone as I don't know then answer...

If I'm off the mark, sorry, most of my lens work (terra firma) is in print film and a Minolta SRT 101 and 201 on a tri with trigger release.

edit- something like this?
arcflash,

Yup, you are right on the money.  Thanks for your input. The point is to shoot the final product.  What I am getting at is wondering if anyone had any luck with any particular filter to eliminate the PS step as well, not to mention just getting better results in general.

I am just a hack, but am trying to get better.  I actually go in fits and starts.  I take the camera on everyon dive for a few months, then don't take it for a year.  I have not really used it in about a year and plan to start up again this summer. 

On some of the underwater forums people have been saying great things about the "Magic Filter" specifically designed for clear-blue water.  The results are far better than anything that can be done by taking the shot and "fixing" in PS alone.  I really wish I could find a "Magic Green Filter."  I would probably shoot more if the post processing time was much shorter.

I have used the grey card underwater and it seems to help.  When shooting RAW it is not too much work in PS to adjust to the grey card.  It is a bit harder than shoot one grey and then adjust.  As you go deeper or the object you are shooting is farther away, the water color becomes more of an issue.  So basically at every new depth and distance to subject I have to reshoot the grey card.  I have been lucky that most of my buddies have some grey plastic on their bcd's (or I put it there) so when I take their photo it is pretty easy to adjust. I can apply that shots adjustments to all others at about that depth and distance.  But again, it is so much darn work. 

I hear you about the $20 in front of a high$$ lens. The filters I was looking at are about $150 each, so I really want to get it right the first time!

Ya, I got nothing. That sounds like a real problem and at $150 a pop, holy cow!

Maybe you could just find a graphic arts student that dives and POW, Bob's your uncle! Smile

It sounds like you know your way around a gear bag so I'm of no help but I'll probably run it past some old club friends and see if anyone has a contact.

Good luck.
I've done a little research on the issue.  Magic Filters has come out with a green water filter that is supposed to do wonders.  I've never used it, but I think Doug Freeman on the WI scuba board has a UR-Pro green water filter.  Basically a magenta filter is basically what you need, but even with a filter, it does require setting white balance for each shot to get the ideal exposure, since the filter is optimized for a certain amount of green (which may not be what you have...)

I've been testing my new setup (DSLR in Ikelite housing) for a couple of months now.  I've tried simply setting white balance for a particular shot, and it works well, even without a filter.  The drawback is the time required to get the white balance set.  For simply documenting a dive, it's more effort than it's worth.  If you have a particular subject like a wreck that you want some specific shots, it would be OK.  If you are able to illuminate with a strobe, or flood light, no filters or white balance changes need to be used.

Photoshop can correct for a lot of things, but it can be time consuming as well as risking loss of quality in the picture.

If you come up with something, I'd love to see the results.

Jeff
Great news.  I will drop by WIScuba and check out Doug has said.  I was thinking of trying the Magic Green Filters.  The big drawback is that they are about $90, plus shipping, plus a filter holder for the 77mm set.  So all in all it will be about $150.  I just couldn't order the set without knowing that someone in our area has had some positive results.

Thanks!
Have you tried looking at for the filters?  I had to get a pro blue water filter for my video setup since I broke the one that came with it.  That cost me over $120 for the 58 MM but I also needed to buy a bunch of other stuff to. 

The problem I found is on the color correction filters, the people the created them have the color filters patent on them so that is why they cost so much. 

But with the white balance and the right filter, the video I shot came out great on the last trip. 

Also another trick for video and using Adobe Pro 2.0 is if you can't white balance the camera, shoot something white before you take the shot.  You can correct to a point but if it is way off you will get some clipping and it will ruin the shot.
Pages: 1 2