MNScuba.com

Full Version: Kid bit by muskie in Lake Calhoun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
May 31, 2007 11:00 am US/Central

Muskie Likely Bit Boy In Lake Calhoun
(AP) Minneapolis Maybe this time, the fish decided it was time to get even.

Instead of becoming prey to anglers, a large fish turned the tables this week, and took a bite out of 9-year-old Paris Copeland's ankle while he was swimming in Lake Calhoun.

"My poor son," moaned his mother, Westy Copeland. "He adores swimming. Now he claims he's never going back in."

Paris and his family were at Lake Calhoun's busy main beach on Memorial Day when Paris felt something strike his ankle.

"All of a sudden he comes running up on the beach, not crying but very concerned, saying 'Mom, something bit me,"' Westy Copeland said. "Blood was just gushing."

The child's leg had an inch-long gash and three teeth marks.

Paris said he didn't see what bit him. "I just felt a ton of pain," he said.

The family was later told that the fish could have been a muskellunge or a tiger muskie -- a muskie-northern hybrid. Both species are aggressive, can grow to 3 or 4 feet or longer, and have mouths filled with razor-sharp teeth.

Fish bites are rare, but they can happen. In 1995, a 13-pound, 38-inch-long muskie bit a youth in Lake Rebecca in western Hennepin County. That fish was later captured in the enclosed swimming area and moved.

But officials say Paris could probably swim in Lake Calhoun for the rest of his life and never get bitten by a fish again.

"For all of the muskie lakes we have, and the number of people and amount of swimming that goes on, we sure don't get many reports (of serious fish bites)," said Daryl Ellison, Department of Natural Resources regional fisheries manager.

His name is "Paris"?????????? :o :o :o
Read Shakespeare!  One of the characters in "Romeo and Juliet" was named Paris! 
I'm pretty sure that Paris in "Romeo and Juliet" wore tights. :-\
This is why I don't skinny dip anymore.  ;D
Skinny dipping could definitely be hazardous :-X

Greg

Especially with a boy named Paris!!!!...I'll leave this one for Michael Jackson