MNScuba.com

Full Version: holy freezing freediving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was in Lake Superior for the first time in my life this past weekend... twice.  Now I know why I put it off so long!  Man was that water COLD!!  My suunto showed 37deg.. and another computer at the site showed 39.. I think they were both off by about 30 deg.. man it was COLD!!!  Colder than when I've been under the ice and I even had an extra suit thrown this time on for good measure.  Sure makes the wrecks in bonaire look a whole lot better than the madiera.  O.k... O.k... it wasn't that bad...
Fred
I could not agree more about Superior.  Particularly the Maderia.  It just seems darn cold, even compared to ice diving.

For me, I think it has to with all the work getting ready to dive the Maderia.  Even by boat, you loose heat with all the work it takes to get there. Once you feel cold, you KNOW you have a long swim back before you warm up.  Sad

Perhaps you will be the areas first freediver wearing a heated dry suit ;D

Later,
Fred, you need to go there in the fall.  The last few years (second week of September) we've had temps in the mid 50's from the surface on down to 100 feet!
Hey Fred, me and mike dove another litle bay south of split rock, you could still see the lighthouse from it, it looked like there were old dock pillars and a bunch of steel junk in the water but not much else.  The water in that little harbor was maybe 39-40 degrees, and pretty clear.
josh, I got a good picture of you freediving the Madiera.. I'll be able to post a few of them later.  Several of the pics I took turned out "not to bad".

"Thanks" to all of you for joining Sandy and I while we sat out the rain in the tent, sure made the time go faster.  Promise next time I'll have it cleaned up and ready for company.
Fred
Smile

And you forgot your weightbelt
forgot my weightbelt?? ???  I just checked the car.. I have the one I was wearing.. and have the extra one with the steel buckle there.. if I left one it would have to be a rubber one with a plastic buckle.. but I was thinking that was in one of my crates in the garage.. and there is a yellow nylon web one that I didn't have any weights on, but I didn't think I had that one along either.. I think that's in the crates too.
Fred
hum......I think it was the rubber one with the plastic buckle, I can give that back to ya' with the wet suit you lent mike.  Does that sound alright?
Fred wears a wieghtbelt?

Since when did mister "zero body-fat" start needing a wieghtbelt?  Wink

I've had cold water in Superior and ridiculously warm water as well. A couple years ago in Munising the water was 70F down to 40'- which is where the bottom of the bay was that I was diving in at the time.

Jon