MNScuba.com

Full Version: Bunker Lake and Superior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever dove in Bunker Lake in Coon Rapids/Andover? Just curious about vis and if there's anything to see.

Also, we are planning on diving Lake Superior for our first time in a couple of weeks. My husband is allergic to neoprene (doesn't have drysuit certification) and I'm curious what the thermocline is there currently as well as temps just above the thermocline as we won't be able to go down that far.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can give us!
Is Bunker lake located next to the coon rapids dam?  If so, I don't even think that lake allows swimming, just shore fishing and wading.  I can be mistaken if this is the wrong lake, however, the one I am talking about seems to be very deep and has excellent visability.
Nope, this one is off of Hwy 242 and Foley. It's where they have the separate water park with the wave pool.

One more note, I've read that the thermocline in Lake Superior is around 30 meters during summer and the temp above the thermocline can get to be about 70 degrees. We're going up to Duluth in a few weeks and were considering diving while we're there ... in particular the Hesper or Medieria depending on how cold it is. Right now, I noticed the surface temps are around 55 and I doubt that temperature stays the same down to 30 meters!
I've never experienced 70 degree temps in Superior.  The past couple years in early September though the temp has been in the 50's down to 100 feet.  The water temp in Superior can change quickly though depending on the wind.  There is often no thermocline at all with temps in the low 40's from the surface on down. 
The MN DNR lakefinder feature only found one 'Bunker Lake' (it is in Anoka county) and according to their survey the lake's deepest depth is 6 feet!  [granted the survey is dated 1948]

I don't know if this is the same lake or not. Unfortunately in researching new places to dive I have found many of the lakes in the metro and outlying area are quite shallow (less than 20'). 
I trained horses for Bunker Hills Stables. If I rember right Bunker Lake is more of a larg holding pond, shallow and murky from the runoff from the golf course. Great wetland not so great swimming.