MNScuba.com

Full Version: Crosby conditions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been up to Crosby the past two weeks in a row.  The good news is that there seems to be quite a bit less trash up there than I've seen in the past which is great.  I've had a chance to dive several pits/accesses.  The viz seems to be down across the board but still is alright.  Did dives at Mahnomen 2 "Sandchute" and at Joan "Grunt-N-Heave" today.  The viz at Sandchute was pretty bad but Joan was pretty good.  Got to see the Ford F350  for the first time in Joan.  For anyone that hasn't found it yet enter the water at the Grunt-N-Heave access and drop down to 35 feet along the wall and head to the left.  At a leisurely pace it took us 25 minutes following the perimeter of the pit to find the truck.  The truck is sitting at a good 45 degree angle on a steep rocky slope.
Yeah, sure, save the "good" dive for second when I can only come play for one!!! 

(OK, glad you guys had a nice second one, just had to comment!)

I too went up to Crosby this last weekend.  I concur; the visibility at Mahnomen wasn’t the best (which surprised me, since it had been so good a couple weeks ago).  But what is nice about Crosby, is if you’re not having fun, get out of the water, toss the tanks in the car, and check out a different pit.  I next went to Louise.  The visibility there was excellent (even with a ton of divers in the water, it appeared to be some sort dive shop campout event).  I had a great time diving this past weekend, other than the fact my scooter caught on fire (yet now I have brand new respect for electricity). - Kirk

How exactly did this happen Kirk??
Must have been a bad seal...and I don't mean a pinniped or how ever that animal is spelled....Spell check can't find it and neither can my home dictionary.... :Smile
It was April the Forty-first, being a quadruple leap year;
I was driving in downtown Atlantis.
My Barracuda was in the shop, so I was in a rented Stingray,
and it was overheating.
So I pulled into a Shell station; they said I'd blown a seal.
I said, "Fix the damn thing and leave my private life out of it, okay, pal?"

(for those that don't recognize this -> Kip Addotta - Wet Dream)

How exactly did this happen Kirk??
[/quote]

The fire didn’t actually happen up at Crosby.  It happened in my apartment in downtown Minneapolis.  Freaked me and the cat out a bit.  A few months ago one of the Anderson Connectors on the lead running from the lead acid batteries to the charger got a bit banged up.  It kept working, so I never bothered replacing it.  On Saturday night, after diving with the scooter up in Crosby, I hauled it into my apartment building to charge it (you wouldn’t believe the odd looks I get from folks while hauling this weapon of mass destruction looking thing through the building lobby).  I tried charging the DPV, but the charger wouldn’t start.  I noticed that one of the little metal tabs inside the Anderson Connector looked a little mangled, so I tried straightening it out, and tried charging it again.  I must have accidentally made a connection between the positive and negative wires because when I plugged the charger back in - the wiring harness popped, sparked, and burst into flames.  I dumped some water on it, propped it up on its shroud, removed the hull, and my apartment filled with white smoke.  After opening the windows to get some better visibility in my home, I noticed that the wiring from the charging plug to the batteries was destroyed by the fire, and the wiring from batteries to the motor was a bit damaged.  I disconnected the motor assembly from the batteries and called Rodney, the owner of Silent Submersion, explained the situation, and he is going to mail me a new wiring harness, which he thinks is all that the scooter needs.  I hope to have it back in the water in a couple days. - Kirk
Just glad you and Tiger are ok
Water on an electircal fire???  Not a safe plan Kirk. I`m happy nothing else happened.

Greg Smile
Um, yah, you'd be needing a type C but you probably pulled the plug so water works on type A at that point. 
Pages: 1 2