MNScuba.com

Full Version: Duluth Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dove north of Duluth today at Brighton Beach.  Water temp a balmy 34 degrees, with 15 lateral feet of ice slush next to shore.  Good viz and pretty much a bunch of rocks!  But, it's open water!
I just unloaded some of my diving gear out of the back of the van this morning.  ;D  But that was because my son and I had a display booth on Snorkeling and Diving at the Scout Expo at Brookdale Center yesterday the 23rd.  Met a few new divers, plus a few who want to be divers!  Spring will come soon, but never soon enough for me! :-\
Well, c'mon up for about 40 minutes in Lake Superior!
5 of us dove the Madiera today...

Parking Lot.................clear
Walking Trail...............mostly clear
Beach....................... clear
Surface swim in 4 footers was a little tough..one of those situations when you are happy to get on top of the wreck and immediately get under water..rest perirod at 40 ft.....

Water was a balmy 34 deg with 45-50ft of vis....all the way down to 100 ft
50 mintues under water led to a very nasty exit. 

Water had boosted some..so we surface in white caps and ended up crawling up on the beach while being pushed by 5 and 6 footers

exit was brutal...

The dive itself was very nice..most probably wont see me diving there from shore in those conditions again...

A great day of comraderie and diving

Deano
Way to man up deano! Sounds like fun except for the cold. Is it normally this rough all spring or are there some calmer days? P.S. I heard Split Rock is under construction.  Can you still get the code or can you just tell us now?
Hey Corn-
Hell who knows...Superior is very unpredictable...as you know.  We finished our dive..drive into two harbors to have some grub..and by the time we were done eating..it had completely calmed down to 1 to 2 footers.  The cold wasnt that bad..it was a "DRY COLD"..oh wait..never mind..that a Arizona saying...  I dont think i got too cold until the last 10 mintues of the dive..and was pretty much sweating by the time i had crawled to shore and hiked back up the hill. Needless to say..i took a break at the patio on the staircase.  Did i mention i was wearing twins? 

The lighthouse is covered with scaffolding..but you can still get a pass and the code at the station.  It was just changed a couple of days ago...i will get it for you and post it shortly

One side note.  I do so love my turtle fins....but not for surface swims in those conditions...  i will change fins if i dare do that again with a south wind( which i probably wont do)  i think you need Jay Hanson calves to do that on a regular basis...i do not!  and mine still ache
Code for the gate is....3584