MNScuba.com

Full Version: RN Employment Opportunity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
March 3, 2008

Employment Opportunity
Registered Nurse- Hyperbaric Medicine
Permanent position and On Call Position Open

Hennepin County Medical Center is searching for a critical care skilled nurse who is looking for a new adventure in Hyperbaric Medicine.  Although this is not a requirement, your scuba diving experience can blend and enhance your nursing practice.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a specialized medical treatment in which the patient breathes 100 percent oxygen while inside a chamber at increase atmospheric pressure.

We manage about 5 DCS patients per year but we treat more than decompression illness!  We treat the following emergency diagnoses: air embolism, carbon monoxide, gas gangrene, necrotizing soft tissue infections, and acute traumatic ischemias and more.  We also run a clinic Monday-Friday, treating wound healing patients such as delayed radiation injury, and non healing diabetic lower extremity ulcers.

HCMC currently is the only hyperbaric chamber facility in MN. We have been in operation for patient care and research since 1964 and have a busy service with plans underway in building a new facility and a four plex chamber.

Competitive metro salary, plus on call pay.  Usual hours are clinic Monday-Friday with rotation for call of after hours and weekends.  Flexible staffing.

If interested and want to learn more, call Jan DeRoche, Nurse Manager
612.873-4050 or email jan.deroche@hcmed.org

wtdrm

This is an old post however I will still reply. I beleive the statement about the only chamber is incorrect. The Brainard store has a chamber and the owner is trained on it. Is that Correct??
I don't think they put people in it. I was told they just put dive computers in a cup of water and practice operations. I don't think they would want to pay the insurance to actually use it. Yes they have very experienced instructors up there but again liability issues. If you got hauled in there by your dive buddy all bent up I don't know what would happen. My girlfriend actually responded to the ad above and was hired. She starts early April. I can't wait for the late night campfire discussions on decompression theory. I would personally try in-water treatment first if possible. I've never felt anything less than perfect during deco.  If not feeling right simply descend and extend stops. Only way one should get bent is blowing off deco (bad idea) or shooting up from panic.  If you shoot up from panic then you're probably in trouble. A year or two ago we know an older guy who allegedly got an "undeserved hit". Collapsed at the dock unloading gear after doing correct deco in Superior. His body just didn't cooperate.
P.S.  They are still looking for another nurse I am told.  Cool job for a diving nurse if you know one.
Just to add on here...for those that care.

My wife is a local physician that specializes in diabetic limb salvage with SMDC in Duluth.  She recently put together a proposal for the addition of hyperbarics at SMDC.  This was on the spot approved and was added to their 2008 budget.  In the near future, SMDC will be adding a 3 ATA hyperbaric chamber with the probably addition of at least one more in the future.  The one issue that i want all to know about:  These chambers are not designed for divers decompression...but...with the proper urging, and a proper proposal, smdc may be interested in the addition of a 6+ ATA chamber.  I have looked into this and will be putting something together..but for now..the foot is in the door...Any thoughts???

Yes, for the more common uses of hyperbaric treatment they only need  a 3 ATA chamber. HCMC in Minneapolis is planning a new 4 chamber unit I believe. 2 3 ATA and 2 6 ATA. Also the Mayo clinic has one in the works as well. Hyperbaric medicine is proven effective. The nurse manager at HCMC siad between Mayo and the new HCMC chamber public awareness and funding for hyperbaric medicine should increase. HCMC's chamber will also be capable of drawing a vacuum to do studies for space travel/living and other benefits. She would know the tricks to get funding.
The Mayo Clinic Hyperbaric Chamber Facility is a non traditional chamber. It is not like most divers are used to seeing. It is a rectangular system .It was built by Fink Engineering ( ) in Australia. It is a Triple lock chamber, that can handle 12 people in each treatment locks (x2) and a Travel lock that can go to 5 ATA.  Two of the locks can fly to 100,000 feet.  Most of the patients that will be treated will be elderly and climbing into a traditional "tubular" chamber is not too inviting. We are proud to have one of the few Fink Engineering Chambers in the world. Soon there will be one in Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, and San Antonio.

Jim