MNScuba.com

Full Version: Hello mnscuba
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Things have finally settled down after my move to Minneapolis in the middle of last year, and our trip back to South Florida for the kids upcoming Spring Break has got me thinking about getting back in the water on a  regular basis.

Being a confirmed warm water wuss after years of living in Florida, I'm know I'm going to have to learn how to use a drysuit and get used to fresh water.

A more immediate need is to have our regs serviced (Mares and Aqualung), new batteries in our Suunto computers and my tanks viz'd before we head off to Florida at the end of the month.

Being new to the area and not knowing anyone, I'm looking for recommendations for a LDS for the above and info on dive clubs, though I figure if I peruse this site a bit more I'll get my answers.

I live in Lakeville and work in the Bloomington/Eden Prairie area. I will admit I've been spoiled by having so many choices close to home when I lived in Florida, but where I live/work would not limit my going further afield for the right shop.

Thanks, and I hope to meet a lot of you as soon as the ice comes off the local water holes and I get myself something better thicker than my 3mm and skins.

Marc
Marc, welcome to mnscuba.com.  If you check out our DiveShops tab at the top of the page you will find a listing of local dive shops along with contact info and equipment lines that each shop carries.  Also, I would encourage you to check out the "Local Dive Shops" forum for some feedback on the local shops by mnscuba.com members.
WELCOME! I too just moved here last year, in Oct of '05. I pretty much just googled SCUBA shops in the Twin Cities area, and paid a visit to each one - some a few times. Between December and Feb I think I visited close to 10 shops. The "dive shops" list is a great place to start as well, and most of those posted, are active members on the board. Most of those shops do "fun dives" as well.

There are SO many lakes around here, I'm chomping on the bit to start diving them. I'm giddy with antici    -    pation Big Grin

From what I have heard, and what my plan is, Full 7mm should be fine for Spring/Summer, so, I don't think you'll need a drysuit right away. Then again, everyone is different. Some people double up, by wearing a 3mm underneath their 7mm. ANYWAY, there's a HUGE diving community around here, I'm finding.

If you're a wreck nut like me, The Lakes aren't far at all. I grew up in NJ, and there're a few wrecks off the coast, but, I always dreamed of diving The Lakes. I just cannot believe I ended up living so close!

Anyway, welcome to mnscuba.com, the people here are great, and VERY knowledgeable about a lot of things.