MNScuba.com

Full Version: Superior Iced Over 2/15/03
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey kiddies...was just up at the Maderia site weekend of 2/18/03 and found the lake frozen! Ice sheet extended out @ 250-300 yards from shore. Not a MN lifer but that was the 1st time I've seen it like that. Bottom line: We got iced out of the dive. Had we known things were frozen over we'd packed the stage bottles, lines, and a cranky chainsaw. Instead we ended up w/some beautiful scenery and nice cold beers! Wink

P.S. Anyone notice the nice little "traffic monitor" tucked back off the trail? With the State budget in the pooper wouldn't be surprised if some pencil pusher figured a way to squeeze a couple bucks outta us nuts who frequent the place. Any insight from the GLSPS guys?
I heard that they were planning to resurface the trail. Maybe the traffic monitor was there to determine if it was a worthwhile project. I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks to dive there if the funds went to improvements.
I'm with Jason on this... I think Lake Superior has been my best diving experience, even though it was really cold water. The vis was incredible and since I have no ocean diving to compare it to...

Wazee is my second favorite spot, but it's not even close to the diving at Superior. It's just fun, and I'm getting to know it well enough to be more comfortable navigating it.

The best vis I've ever had was in the tub... but it's hard to maintain bouyancy and not hit bottom. Bottom time is really good though.
I'm sure everyone driving the north shore has seen the NorthStar trail go in. After the state aquired the land between Split Rock and the Madeira, there were also plans to put in a nice parking lot at the Madeira site with a porta potty and a kiosk with Madeira info/artifacts/display. There was also supposed to be a nice trail (either gravel or paved) down to the beach from the parking lot. With the budget woes, I don't know if this will happen anytime soon.
I know the GLSPS guys are still in contact with state people about this. Who owns the Madeira? Yep, the rights were donated to GLSPS, so they are certainly the right people to keep track of this issue.
T
Are you saying GLSPS owns the madiera? Is that like owning salvage rights?
Dunno if I 100% agree with the nice paving lot and all...something nice about the ruggedness of the place. Providing such easy access might lead to increased activity ie a packed parking lot in the summer filled with non-divers. As a former East Coast surfer, I witnessed this happen to several great spots that got a little TLC. Really sucked to suddenly find yourself getting ticketed at a place you had respectfully frequented for years and never had a negative experience. Pay to dive the Maderia?! Gimme a break...
Yeah, I agree with you Gramps but I would like to see the path improved a little though. It's so rugged right now. It would be nice if it was at least smoothed out so you could wheel your gear down to the site. I too would rather not see a fancy park type thing made out of it. I fear the same thing for Crosby, by making it into a Wazee type park and start charging to dive.
Nice is my word, I didn't say you had to agree with me.
I personally will probably not dive the Madeira from shore again unless that sh*tty path is improved. Diving from a boat is much easier anyway. It is good to get feedback from those who feel differently (why this forum is good) and the path/lot may not even happen with current budget woes.
T
Does Superior freeze over very often or is that a pretty rare occurence?
I had wondered about that as well (the freeze).
Pages: 1 2