MNScuba.com

Full Version: advanced training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is spinoff from the deco thread. Where should a recreational diver go for technical training? What type of investment in training and equipment is required? What instructors or local dive shops excel at this type of training?

And the most important question, why go through the technical training?
I think the only reason I would ever consider technical training is if I knew I was going to be diving a wreck at below recreational depths. At this point, I have no reason to exceed the recreational dive limits. The extra training however would be nice to have, but it's one of those 'use it or lose it' scenarios, isn't it?
I think the reason to take technical training is when the diving you are interested in doing requires additional skills to do it safley. For example, if you want to dive in a wreck, you should get overhead training. Trying to make dives that are beyond your skill level is foolish. And the only way you can get to that level is additional training. I think the key to finding a good instructor/shop is to ask around, and find out who is actually doing this kind of training, and more importantly, someone who is doing the types of dives on their own and not just for class. I would not want to take a cave class from someone who only dives with students. And finally my wife was asking me just the other day "How much do YOU think your going to spend this time!" Looking back perhaps my response of "How much do we have" was not the correct one. Wink

Groovekitty

tbrown,

I agree that one motivation for taking technical training would be to extend your diving limits and abilities - which is great Smile, however I have recently started technical training for a much different reason. I think it's nice to look at pretty fish and reefs and all that, but quite frankly, I was getting bored with it. You can only see so many Angel fish before they start to swim - pun intended Wink

I wanted to do the kind of diving that stimulates me intellectually as well as physically, and let me tell you lugging around a set of double 104's is not that easy and a hell of a workout! Technical dive training is exciting and interesting. It allows you to participate in the kind of dives that require presence of mind and are very gear intensive. Not only that, it is a lifestyle that demands physical fitness, a good attitude, and a good diet which will help you to reach the full potential of your dive training/ability.

I will be taking cave training this summer in High Springs, Florida. As far as an instructor, word of mouth is a great way to find out information. You can also look on dive forums such as this or inquire at your local dive shop. Scuba Dive & Travel is my shop of choice. Rich, the owner, is an avid technical/cave diver and a fantastic instructor. I would definitely recommend speaking with him!

Now lets talk cost - maybe not! ha ha ha
In the last year and a half I have conservatively spent around 5-6K to enhance my gear which is necessary for the technical training I've taken and am looking forward to taking. But it is totally worth it! (I don't have to fight the hubby on this one since he usually bestows scuba presents on me every holiday)

Anyways...good luck with your technical diving pursuits I hope this helps.
~groovekitty*

DRE

Even if you're not interested in cave diving or deep diving, taking an advanced deco class will help you become a much better diver. Tech classes will teach you how to properly configure your gear, will expand your boayancy and kicking techniques, will make you much more aware of the team concept in diving, will teach you how to use the proper gasses for a dive, plan a dive and make you a safer diver all around.

As far as cost is concerned, there obviously is the cost of the class, and gear wise for an adv. deco class you need a single tank with Y-valve, deco bottle (AL30 is sufficient), lift bags and spools and preferably a drysuit. For most avid Lake Superior divers there isn't a huge amount involved when it comes to gear.
As for training in the TC's I concur with Groovekitty and go to SD&T, unless you want to get into CCR rebreather diving, in which case you better not forget the bodybag!
See, now what I would want to see, is instead of a full blown tech class, a class where some of the more advanced techniques are taught. I don't want to get into deco currently. I would like to learn some of the more advanced techniques, but a lot of what is in the tech classes doesn't necessarily fit my needs. Or probably the needs of a lot of rec divers out there. It would seem to me that someone needs to address the needs of rec divers who want to gain more skills but don't want to get into the tech world.

JoelW

DRE

I understand where you're coming from Joel. In fact, when you take the Adv. Nitrox class, only one of your dives will be an actual deco dive, so even if you decide not to get into full blown deco diving afterwards, you still benefit tremendously from the class. As far as I know, SD&T (you might want to check with them) will start implementing the gear config and kicking techniques, dive planning, etc. in their BP PADI Adv. classes, so that is definitely a possibility for people who don't have enough dive experience yet to enter the tech class.
Yeah I'm with Joel on this one. While tech diving sounds real interesting it's just too expensive for me when considering the extra gear costs and the price of trimix fills. I would like to improve upon my skills though. I think my gear config. is pretty much there as I dive a BP/Wing, long hose reg setup, wristmounted computer/compass, etc. I'm more interested at this point in learning better buoyancy, new fin kicks, navigation, buddy training etc. I'm sure the DIR fundamentals class would be a step in the right direction but it would be nice if there was something taught like that locally.
I was typing when you posted DRE so I missed your post until now...the SD&T class sounds like something I may want to pursue. I've only been diving a year and I've got about 60 dives under my belt. I feel pretty comfortable with my buoyancy in normal nonstress diving conditions though I'm sure it could use improvement in higher taskload situations. Max depth I've been to so far is 120ft. I completed PADI Advanced and TDI Nitrox classes last summer.
I will follow GP and Joel on this one. I would also like to see/take an intro course. It can only better my skills/skill set. And I am one of those divers that is happy being Rec. But what SD&T is setting up sounds wonderful. I have done all my certification thru SD&T and Rich has always given me a fair shake. I talked with him many times last year about the tech aspect of diving and enjoyed our chats. At this juncture, looks like DM training this summer takes up most of my time. I tend to lean towards helping new divers (teaching etc). Maybe its in my blood or something. But I know *ANY* new skills/skill set I can learn can only help me be a better/safer diver at *ANY* level! I have enjoyed reading these threads. I have learned quite a lot!!!! I wonder if they have a hood-less tech diving class?

Thanks...Jean Smile
Pages: 1 2 3