MNScuba.com

Full Version: dry suit hood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the opportunity to buy a drysuit with an attached hood. The hood can either be latex or neoprene. I understand neoprene. I've never seen or used a latex hood.

Which is warmer? Which is easier to use? Which is better?

I guess the German divers like to use latex hoods.
I personally like having the option of diving with my drysuit with either a hood or no hood. I have a shell so I can dive with it in pretty warm water.
Hey Jason, of course I already told you my opinion but I'd get the neoprene hood only because it would most likely be less hassle to get on and it's one less latex seal to deal with. Less likely to tear or stretch out etc. Sure if fit properly a latex would probably keep your head dryer but does your head really get cold on dives? I know for me diving wet even in Superior my head has never been cold.
Jason: The neoprene has insulating value Latex doesn't and you will feel the cold. Taking care on the proper way to take latex off you shouldn't have a problem. I like latex as it does give a better seal espicially in the areas where your wrist tendents protrude when you move your hand and when you turn your head from side to side
I know some divers who have an attached latex hood
(which they like for dryness) and they pull on a
neoprene hood over that (which adds warmth).
They think it gives them the best of both.
Thought: you can probably switch out the latex hood for a regular neck seal if you don't like it. Changing dry suit neck seals is not a big deal and is fairly easily. If you don't feel like tackling the task yourself, Superior Diving Repair in Brainerd has done great work for me in the past.