MNScuba.com

Full Version: Prior Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm moving to Prior Lake at the end of March and I was wondering if anyone has ever dove Prior Lake. I would like some feedback on this lake and see if it's worth making a dive.
Don't know about depth, clarity, etc, but it is a VERY busy lake. Fast boats, jet skis, a lot of partying, waterskiing, fishing (ouch).

Even with a dive flag it's probably not too safe for divers.
Out of the 10 or so dives we tried there (my buddy lives on Prior), the best viz we were able to get was about 2-3 feet. That was in the Spring. Just be careful of the the guys riding a jet ski with one hand on the throttle and the other hand holding the beer can, who think that you have a really cool float to do circles around... ;D

(It would be nice if the DNR/sheriffs dept would be more active in fining and educating aquatic motorists about the diver down flags. And the fine is higher for a diver without a flag than the aquatic motorist who violates coming to close to one - what's up with that?)

Prior is VERY busy with traffic!
As mentioned by someone else, the problem with Prior Lake was the
boat traffic and then the lack of visibilty. Many years ago we
kept an Ice hose for Ice diving on one of their bays. It was a nice
time to dive because we had no boat traffic and visibility was 20foot
+. There was an old clay pit behind the Chaska court house we
used to dive in. That again was many years ago. We quit going there because
we were told that they had an ordinance that prohibited swimming in the pit.
We made about 20 dives there. 20-25 feet of visibility, and lots of stuff to see.
The used to make clay bricks by the pit and when the facility
burned down the just shoved everything in the water.