MNScuba.com

Full Version: Dry Glove Liners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm getting cold hands after 30 minutes in water below say 42. Above that they take longer but I would not make it an hour before they turn to wood. In ice I can go about 15 minutes = cool and 25 minutes = unsafe.

I use the standard yellow knit liners today. I tried fleece liners and they didn't work much better but then they were a little worn.
I don't vent the gloves to the suit but I'm not deep and I leave air in them when donning so I don't' get much squeeze to say 50 feet.

Anyone have a liner that works for common Superior dives?

maybe try a pair of the neoprene gloves from Fleet Farm or Gander? (or basic wetsuit gloves even, but the FF ones are cheap!)

have you tried the silvery liners yet (not sure where I've seen them lately)?

or how about just some plain old military surplus wool glove liners?

The silver glove liners work very well when used with the wool liners. I buy mine at Kaplan Brothers off of 15th Avenue & East Lake Street. I know they have an outlet in Brooklyn Center also but not sure what their selection is. Their prices on almost everything is less than the big box sporting goods stores or hunting outlets.
Henderson 7mm five fingered gloves (wet but warm) I was in 39 degree water for an hour and 15 minutes and never felt like I was the slightest bit cold on my hands. My lips were cold from the surface swim out and back to the Madeira though.
I also am very susceptible to getting cold hands. I prefer the blue gloves with the liners already sewn in to the glove. Under these I will wear another thin polyester fleece liner (mine are made my Mountain Hardware but I'm sure there are other brands). These liners are very form-fitting which prevents any bunching of material inside the glove. I also make sure I can slowly vent air in and out of the glove to and from the suit.
Thanks, I don't know the 'silver gloves'? Are you talking the woven foil gloves for skiing? I have them for xc-skiing but I haven't been very impressed with them for that so I didn't bother trying them.

I'd like to stay dry so I'll pass on the wet glove but I may see how my 3mil wets feel under the dry glove. I suspect it will be too sloppy.

I'm evaluating the Manzella Warmer this weekend in Crosby.

Try a couple hand warmers inside your dry gloves.
Go to Target and get a pair of their 2-layer fleece gloves.  I've used them for years and they work very well.
Have you guys tried latex gloves as a way to keep your liners dry and with dry liners your hands stay warmer and liners last longer .Thats what we use especially on deco stuff .
Cold hands can be a sign that your body and head aren't warm enough.  When your core starts to drop, perepheral circulation slows down in an attempt to conserve the core warmth.  The opposite happens if your core is too warm, the arteries open up and try to flush the heat.  So, if you can keep the core warm but not sweat profusely, the hands benefit by becoming the body's radiator.

Try adding a layer of core warmth or stick a couple warmers in your pockets and see if that helps. 

It could also be that you have a strong Mamillian Diving Reflex.  Cold water to the forehead prompts the body to shunt blood to the core to conserve oxygen and protect the vitals.  Make sure your head stays as warm as you can keep it.

I also have cold hands, and these tips helped me more than double the time I can tolerate in water in the 40's.
Pages: 1 2