MNScuba.com

Full Version: Muck Diving in Calhoun Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A guy and his wife hired me to look for his wedding band in Calhoun this week and we scheduled it for today. He told me that it was in about 8-10' of water and that there were "some" weeds. His cousin, who is a diver rented one of my detectors and I used the other. We gridded off the search area and the ring owner was satisfied that that we were in the right area. The weeds were man eaters and the muck... forget about it! I have never seen silt with the same consistency as excrement. That lake may have some cool hills and valleys on the bottom but I could not get the image out of my mind that I was swimming in minneapolis' cesspool. I brought 5 tanks down there but I was grossed out after one. We looked on the bottom of the gridded out area for two hours and we did not find the ring. I told the other diver to pick up any metal trash and put it in the lobster bag so that we can get the metal out of the search area. I found a broken swim fin, a broken mask, two spoons, a lot of decayed pop/beer cans, a brass buckle, a brass handle, and a cool old bottle that said "Benson Bottling Co. Minneapolis" it still had the loop top and rubber seal. When I got home I rinsed the slime out of my gear and Googled the bottle. Near as I can tell it is from 1893 to 1900. That was a neat find. The guy and his wife were depressed but they paid me $220 for looking. Now If I could line up one of these dives everyday I would be "livin' high on the hog".
Definitely liv'n the high life.  8)