MNScuba.com

Full Version: Drysuit boots: attached or separate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm almost at the finishline deciding on my new drysuit configuration. The last decision I need to make is whether to go with standard attached boots or socks w/ rock boots on my suit. My initial thought was to go with the socks. But I have been surprised at how many experienced divers prefer attached boots.

Are attached boots warmer? Are rock boots a pain to put on/take off? Is there a significant advantage to using either type in our local waters?
Don't have an answer for you on the boots but what suit did you decide on (considering I should say)? I'm in the process of deciding if I get a back plate harness setup or dry suit in the next few months (slight funds/wife issue).

The big question is what material to go with on the dry suit. crushed neoprene or Trilam? I know I don't want a basic neoprene due to buoyancy but what are the pro's and con's to other materials.
I'm leaning towards an Andy's DS3 extreme trilam, front-zip, latex seals, and yet-to-be-determined sock or boot. I'm planning to add two fifthd bellows pockets, diving concepts neoprene dryglove system, and halcyon p-valve. I have already purchased the customized Softwear polartec 300 undies. I'm buying the suit from a LDS.

I would generally recommend trilam unless you are heavy into wreck diving. Then I might recommend a more rugged crushed neoprene suit. The neoprene suits are heavier and take more time to dry. The trilam is lighter, drys quickly, but not as abrasion resistant. I wanted a trilam suit with a heavier weight fabric so I chose the "extreme" option. I know some people that really like neoprene dry suits for ice diving.

I had to decide between a backplate and dry suit this year. I chose the dry suit. My comfort is a higher priority to me. I already dive a seaquest balance (back inflate). I'm not diving doubles. I'll get the bp/wing next.