MNScuba.com

Full Version: Ice Diving - Hopkins Wreck 1/23/09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A group of us went out and dove the Hopkins out on Lake Minnetonka on Sat.  We had cool temperatures to start the morning, but we had a nice little camp that kept us comfortable.

Good dives and good stories were abundant.

Thanks to all who came out.

I had some trouble with my camera, so most of my shots are WAY out of focus, but I got a few that came out OK.  I'll post more if I can make the file upload work...

Jeff
More Hopkins Ice Diving Pics. 

Jeff
Looks like you guys had excellent visibility.  I didn't realize that wreck was that intact.  We'll have to add that to the dive site list.  Thanks for posting  8)
Nice pics but on the photo of the handrail: what is the Aluminum "8" in your rope doing for you? Is that some practice that I havent learned? If the end of the dive rope is that close to the diver, why not clip it to your harness with a carabiner and skip the extra "Weak link"? Or is this a hybrid tag line for multiple divers. I cant see the ends of the ropes so maybe that is what it is. Just curious... John
John, you are correct. It's a figure-8 repel tool. It's used as a main line terminator and a link to the pig tails. The pig tail is maybe 16 feet and bisected with a knot to the figure-8. One diver on each end of the pig tails.

A beaner would need to be inspected more often so the 8 is a better choice.
Looks like the ice dive was cool. I would love to find out where that wreck is. It looks to me by the photo that is was in Wayzata bay. Any chance i could get the GPS Coordinates???

Pat
Hi Pat,

I emailed you the location plus a map of where it is on Tonka.
Have fun!

Pete R.
Hey I am very interested in diving there could I get the GPS numbers? ;D