MNScuba.com

Full Version: Lac Lavon in Apple Valley?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever dived here? I've seen divers out before while fishing, and I know the lake has excellent visibility.
...Excellent vis....Well, it may have O.K. vis from May through early June.  But most of the dives I've done there have 7' vis.  The only time I found the platform was when my buddy lost her fin and I dove down to find it.  What I could find was a line on the bottom that went from the front of the fish pier to the platform.  There was a jug about a foot beneath the surface of the water that was tied to the platform.  The next time I did a dive there, I couldn't find it....

Take a can of spray cheese and a Kodak under water camera.....the fish are just like little kids, all up in your face mugging the camera and going for the cheese!

You can also add to your fishing lure collection by diving near the fishing pier!  I found three lures last time I was there!

It's nice to have the "Portable" facility for changing in after the dive.

I dove there once.  It was ok but nothing special.  I'd echo what DQ said about the vis.  Probably 7 to maybe 10 feet tops depending on time of year and water conditions.  Here are some links to past threads.

Hey all, back in the water on here...

When I lived in Burnsville, I did a lot of dives in this lake.  The vis is great... Until it rains and then all the run off from the area goes into the lake and then it is done for the year.

If your there when the vis is good, it will be a great time as the small fish follow you all over the place and even the Northerns will be hanging around but will keep their distance. 

In the mid summer if we don't get a lot of rain, the water will warm up to a nice 80ish temp and you don't need a wet suit but like I said, once it rains, your lucky to get 2 foot of vis. 

This is a place to dive early in the season as soon as the ice gets out.
I went in there with Paparazzi a couple years ago. I'd like to drop in again. That's the only lake in MN I've been able to dive without a wetsuit so far. If I recall correctly, the surface temp was 86F.
PilotC150 and I did a couple dives on Lac Lavon 7/15/09.  Vis was about 5-7 ft.  There was an instructor from New Prague and his student doing dives as well.  Anyone know an instructor from New Prague (not affiliated with a shop) with a British Accent?  I didn't know him either. 

The fish were out in full force...Crappies, bluegills, small bass.  Fisherpersons on shore were asking if we saw any Northern...Not a one to be seen.  One fisherman asked us to retrieve a bobber that had gotten away from his kids. 

The weather was about as perfect as it could have been.  Sunny and warm, but not so hot as to get overheated.  The rainstorms we were forcast for the day before went up to the Brainerd area instead, so no washout of the shoreline!  Even though it wasn't going to get "Dark" for a couple more hours, we used our dive lights to see things better in the water and to be able to see each other if we got separated in the 7' vis.

Only found one fishing lure, and that treble hooked leader I almost stepped on at the shore!  Glad I found it before a barefooted child did!  :o  Also, we found several lids from worm containers, a pop can and other debris (long red stick from a bottle rocket!) most of which we picked up and tossed in the trash!

One fellow on a bicycle stopped to chat about the bottom structure and how it looked from his buddy's "AquaView" Camera system.  Folks seemed pretty receptive to seeing divers out here!  ;D
What is the water temp at Lac Lavon? Dove with MSD tonight in Crosby and it was chilly below 30 feet so I'm looking to see of LL is back in the mid 80s now to do a non 5mm wetsuit dive and go in with a shirt and shorts.
For as much rain as the area got 8/7/09....Half the shore may have washed in again.  But that new pavillion with the picnic tables is pretty cool!  Wink