MNScuba.com

Full Version: Location of the Hopkins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to dive the Hopkins this summer but how do I find it? I looked on line but didnt find much. I know its on lake minnetonka.
I believe the MN Manatees used to have GPS numbers for all sorts wrecks, including the Hopkins.  Their site looks like it is under a bit of construction and it is not currently listed but if you email them, someone may be able to hook you up.  There is also an awesome book (tough to find) Called "Salvaged Memories" written by Jerry Provost.  It has a hand drawn map that shows The White Bear, Hopkins, Hercules and Como, Located off the north most point of Big Island.  It's about 1/3 the way to Brackett's Point according to his map.  Good luck, Jeff
Are all those wrecks in Tonka?
Thanks for the info Smile
All those wrecks are in Tonka.  Jerry Provost spent a ton of time locating them.  He finally found them and raised up the Minnehaha which is now restored and running on the lake again.  The state let him do all the work of pulling it up and bringing it to shore and then promptly showed up to say it was state property.  Then the state got to thinking, "what do we really want this for"?  They gave up the rights and it was restored.  The clean-up dives at Tonka are my favorite.  The crap you can find.........
I thought the late Cliff Wheeler had a lot to do with that project. I never knew him but heard a lot of good things.

You should dive the Hopkins in winter.  It's the only way to see it, literally. A couple years ago we had 20+ vis in winter. Summertime, 0 vis. Blue Wave Scuba lacated near Minnetonka has accurate coordinates for all Minnetonka wrecks and other dive sites.  We dove it last winter and had a good time. There is still time!