MNScuba.com

Full Version: A question for women divers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  Hello.  I am new to MN scuba and just have a question for some of the other female divers (or guys with opinions on this).  I was at one of our local shops last week and tried on some gear.  The guy that was helping me made me feel rather uncomfortable (creepy).  He seemed more content to talk to my chest than look me in the eye.  I also felt trapped in the fitting room when he was "helping" me try on a wetsuit.  Have any of you ever experienced this?  Is this the norm?  I don't really want to name the shop yet but may have to warn other women if it's more common than I hope it is.

Thanks,
Betty
I'm a guy that's been guilty of making females feel uncomfortable but only because I'm stupid, not dangerous.  But you never can tell.

It's not the norm.

If you felt creepy or trapped, then he has a problem.  Those feelings exist for reason.  I'll bet you aren't the only one that's felt that way.  If he's an employee of the LDS, do the shop a favor and let the owner know.  If it's the owner, that might be tougher and you'll just have to try a different shop.

Chances are the guy is just a tool and might benefit from some education.  If not, then he's got to go for the sake of the shop.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.  No, that's not the norm!  All shops and their personnel are different. 

I had an unusual experience at a shop when I was trying on a hooded vest with a "Less than fully supportive" undergarment on....Suffice to say it was uncomfortable to try and figure my way out of that one!  I didn't dare ask the male who was working the shop at the time to assist me out of the vest without risk of somethings getting loose at the wrong moment! 

I had decided if I needed to, I would wear the vest home and then cut it off and glue in a zipper.  Finally, it did come off over my head without assistance!  And unfortunately, most changing rooms are a little small to try on a full suit!  But this is Minnesota and we can't just have a 3/2 shortie for normal diving!

Hopefully, you will find staff at a dive shop you feel comfortable with.  And maybe even a couple female buddies to take with you next time you need assistance changing!  Good Luck and Happy Diving in our beautiful Minnesota Lakes!
im guessing most dive shops in minnesota deal with male divers as the majority of their customers. of the shops ive been to, the sales people are quite different as with any store. theres at least 6 scuba places i can think of around minneapolis with sales people ranging from kids to experts. just shop around, and youll find someone that makes you feel comfortable as a customer.
That was an unfortunate situation.  Since most dive stores employee males, it can be an awkward moment for the salesman as well.  Fortunately at GUDC, he have seperate male and female changing rooms where the divers have plenty of room to change and to try on wetsuits.
Correct ,
Just bring some friends in for fun and assistance. The best friend can be of help too.
A lot of time a second opinion is helpful selecting materials.  Sometimes a different manufacturers product fits better.

Andreas
The guy is a dirt ball , tell the owner of the LDS and find another shop . No one needs to feel like that .
I wouldn't jump to calling the buy a dirt ball creep based on that.  Sometimes innocent things make people uncomfortable.

The bottom line though, is that if you aren't comfortable you should say something and if he doesn't respond to your comment, well then maybe he is a creep.

I don't think my wife has ever been wierded out at the shops in town though I should say there was a female clerk available the first time she put on a wetsuit if she needed help.  I'm not sure if things would be different had there been no help.

Do yourself and the shop a favor and tell them what's going on.  Then you will know if it is an innocent thing and will be resolved or if there is an issue that others should be warned about.
Thank you all for the replies.  A quick clarification on one item in my original post.  The actual size of the changing room wasn't the problem it was that he was standing in the doorway with me trapped inside telling me how the wetsuit should fit.  After talking to a few other female divers at least one other one has experienced this with this particular store employee/instructor.  I think I will be contacting the owner/owners soon to get their take on things.

Betty