MNScuba.com

Full Version: 5 new ice divers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did my ice dives along with 4 others this weekend so PADI has 5 new ice divers. I think I need to spend my tax rebate on a dry suit 8)
Congrats!  I cannot imagine doing ice dives without a dry suit -- unless you have plenty of natural insulation. Wink
Congrats! Many years ago I did an ice dive in a wetsuit. Dry is definately the ticket.
The one thing about diving under the ice wet, you always no when to call it quits.
Diving under the ice and staying warm is a challenge wet or dry.  Wink  It's all about the right fit and insulation.  I've done quite a number of ice dives wet  >Big Grin  and TRULY stayed warm.  The idea is getting suits that fit well and layering.  Just like you would not dive below the thermocline for very long in a 3mm OR go outside for a stroll in January wearing shorts and a T-shirt.  When I ice dive wet I wear a 1mm metalic lined skin with a 3/2 full suit over that and a 7mm fullsuit over that.  I pull all of these suits out of a cooler filled with HOT water right before I put them on.  Going wet in this manner will keep ya warm.  The down side is....It's a lot of work getting all those suits on.  Once in the suits, out of the water ya feel like a little kid dressed for winter (when you relax your arms they do not hang at your side but about a foot away from your hips  :Smile  :Smile .

Dry has a WHOLE lot going for it and certainly is THE STANDARD here in Minnesota. 
There is only 3 Mts you want to dive wet else MN is dry suit country

Andreas

Like Ralphie's little brother in the movie "A Christmas Story".

I wouldn't say that I froze ice diving wet and the hot water helps (with a proper fitting suit), but I wouldn't choose to do it now that I have gone dry.