MNScuba.com

Full Version: First stage filter covered with white disk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. I just bought a new Apeks ATX50 on-line. I see what appears to be a white cardboard disk firmly covering the first stage filter under the dust cap. What's the best way to remove it? I thought I'd ask you guys before I start trying to pick it out with a sharp object. Thanks for the help!

Shelly
If that's what I think it is DON'T REMOVE IT. That filter keeps junk out of your first stage.
Yikes!! It looks solid, like no gas could possibly pass through it. I've never seen anything like it on any rental reg I've ever had. Could it be unique to Apeks?

Shelly
Gas molecules are small, dirt is, well, big. I'm pretty sure you are looking at the filter unless apeks is packaging the first stage differently.
OK. Thanks for saving me from myself! When I get my tank back from hydro testing I'll hook 'er up and see if I get any air through it.

Thanks again!
Shelly
I also recommend taking the reg into the shop and having it tuned before you dive with it.
Yes this white disc is the inlet filter but it is not unique to Apeks - Seaquest uses a similar filter on AirSource IIs.

So do not remove it.

Some key things I have noticed about some Apeks regs is that they come from the factory with the intermediate pressure set too high and the breathing effort set too high so I definitely would recommend you take it to your friendly Apeks technician and check it over. This is where having a good working relationship with your LDS and the techs there is very beneficial. I know you said you bought it online but still..
Two shops I know of locally that do Apeks service are GUDC and Northland Divers.
T