MNScuba.com

Full Version: Apostle Island Charters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This last weekend I attended the GLSPS Show, and when I got home I was looking through some literature.  One thing that I was looking at is the charters for the Apostle Islands.

On this one brocure the company mentioned 2 dives / 2 tanks or 3 dives and "we split the second tank"

What is this?  I have never seen this before.  With splitting the 2nd tank its 3000-1500 then 1500-500psi?  Does anyone else see this as a possible safety concern/issue
I haven't done the full day charter with this outfit, but the dives I would expect on dives 2 & 3 are most likely under 30 ft in depth, maybe less.  While it wouldn't be my ideal way to plan 3 dives, partly because I just like to stay down a long time, but I wouldn't see it as a safety concern.  Just one of shorter dives.

The half day trips I went on had a max depth of 27 ft.

Very interesting sites, some interesting wrecks and I enjoyed the diving, but definately shallow.

Jeff
yeah you can get a lot of dive time when you are less than 30 feet, just have to keep a close eye on your air, sounds like a fun place to go freediving.
I went up there last summer with these guys and that's exactly what the split tanks means.  Our second dive was in and around some small cave structures and I don't think I got over 10 feet.  We were told to keep 1500-2000 for our third dive which was on a shallow wreck in the 10-15 range.  Overall I'd recommend the Apostles area.  Some cool wrecks and a beautiful area when your above water too.  Pretty shallow dives but that also makes them pretty warm for Superior.  My wife took our daughter to the beach near Bayfield to swim which doesn't happen much in that lake.
If you need to kill time on shore, search the board for Bayfield. We had a post some time ago about shore diving. The Fin McCool is a shore dive, and old truck and a lot of old sunken piers. Vis from shore is maybe 25 tops but it changes.

If you only got a half day charter you could easily fill the afternoon with shore dives but do your research before you go. Nothing is marked or obvious entrance.