MNScuba.com

Full Version: Vandenberg sinking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg sinking off of Key West is this Wednesday. 

Video provided online at

Story at
Thanks for posting. It will be cool to watch it being sunk live. I look forward to diving it this year.
It just so happens that I'll be there Friday! Smile

Are you diving it? It looks like an awesome dive.
It's likely we'll try.

KEY WEST, Fla. -- The Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg sank at approximately 10:24 a.m. Wednesday, successfully concluding a 13-year-project to convert the decommissioned military missile-tracking ship into a new artificial reef off Key West.

The vessel sank to the ocean floor about seven miles south of the island in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.

At approximately 10:22 a.m., demolition experts pushed a button that ignited cutting charges strategically positioned in bilge areas below the ship’s waterline. The Vandenberg disappeared below the waterline less than two minutes later.

Couldn't get the live feed, evidently they weren't anticipating such a good turnout. They said they would post the video later today...  found a couple on youtube, poor quality
Here's a link to the video on Fox.  You have to put up with an add first but, the video pretty good.

According to the Fox video you'll be able to snorkel to the ship within 24 hours.  Seems like an advanced technique to me.
You should still be able to see the ship from the surface snorkeling.  The video said the highest part of the ship comes to within 40 feet of the surface.  I'm guessing the vis is pretty good.
Pages: 1 2