MNScuba.com

Full Version: St Thomas VI - Dive Shops / Boats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Next week I will be in the USVI (St Thomas specifically) for a week (honeymoon)and want to get some diving done. 1) I have NAUI Advanced certification and will be looking for both interesting structure / marine biology dives and 2) My wife of 3 days will be finishing her PADI Open Water simultaneously (she took the class at Air Down There this winter)

Anybody have suggestions on a operator? I have seen some references to Blue Island Divers.

For me safety orientated, a clean boat, and experienced divemasters are worth more than saving a few bucks. Also further away from cruisers and hotel package groups as possible is a plus.

Thanks again for any suggestions!!!!

Dan
I visited St. Thomas a couple of years ago on a cruise.  I went on my own and set up dives with Underwater Safaris ().  We went to the Rye Reef and Cartanser Senior wreck on Buck Island.  They have nice boats and don't overload them.  I think there were 8 divers on the boat when I was there.  Their dive shop is located within a couple hundred yards of the cruise pier which was mostly why I went with them.  I would recommend them.
Now that it's almost summer, I suggest that your wife-to-be finish her open water here. Then you can dive together. Otherwise you may be split up between dive times and/or boats, etc. Keep it simple. Your on your honeymoon.

OW check-off may not be on the best sites St Thomas has to offer, so, if you stay with her, you may be disappointed. BTW, stay away from boats where the instructor/DM is both guiding and training at the same time. You don't want to pay for a dive to watch students do skills.