MNScuba.com

Full Version: Consider Lake Michigan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For over 25 years I have been diving and enjoying the shipwrecks of Lake Superior, but have "rediscovered" shipwrecks in Lake Michigan and offer the advice to consider Lake Michigan when looking for shipwrecks to explore.  Back when I dove the wrecks off the west coast of Michigan from Milwaukee to Two Rivers, I was faced with 5-10 foot visibility...now the visibility on wrecks is 50 - 100 feet.

Having provided shipwreck diving charters on Lake Superior from Duluth to Rossport Ontario, and I know the frigid cold waters well. 

Driving from Minneapolis to Duluth or North Shore wrecks is a 2-4 hour drive - the wrecks of Milwaukee are 5 hours.  From Minneapolis to Grand Portage is 5-6 hours.  Minneapolis to Sheboygan or Two Rivers, etc. is 6 hours.

The water temperatures in Superior rarely get above mid 40's, with a rare thermocline.  The temperatures in Michigan start out chilly in the 40's, but starting now are warming up to mid 40's deeper and often 50-60's on mid depths!  This is huge comfort factor even in a dry suit!

The variety of intact shipwrecks along the west coast of Wisconsin is overwhelming - if you want to see completely intact freighters, or fully intact wooden schooners then there is nothing to compare.

This past weekend I was training a student and diving with a charter out of Sheboygan and had a chance to dive two great wrecks with 70 + visibility, yes they have mussels on the wrecks, but wow the wrecks are very complete!

So no disrespect for Superior shipwrecks, but take the opportunity to dive clear, warmer water with an overwhelming abundance of wrecks at all depth levels to explore.  If you have any questions on specifics, great restaurants, hotels, etc... don't hesitate to email me with questions.

good diving,

Deep Thought

I have to agree with Ron.  The shipwreck diving I've done around Milwaukee has been outstanding.  I've also done some nice shore dives on wrecks up in the Door County area.
Deep Thought,

Is the diving in Lake Michigan better if done out of a boat?  Went to the west shore of Lake Michigan last fall, and I would have to say it looked very tempting to do a shore dive.  Looked to be very clear out quite a ways.  Now after you wrote this, I should have done it.  Just will have to look for more deals on scuba gear on Craigslist out that way for an excuse to go.LOL ;D
I can't speak for all of Door County or North...as I have done wrecks in Manistique (20 miles out into lake, from sturgeon bay (few miles off) , and from Two Rivers to Milwaukee ( both mile+ offshore) now I have google wrecks on the west shores of Michigan and I believe there are some shallow wrecks?  But this is definitely a down side as compared with Superior- all the good wrecks are off shore and deep enough to stay protected from thrashing waves.  You can't beat the short swim on the Madeira, but heck the wrecks are soooo good it's worth the $60-70 for a two tank dive - or in my case blowing 5 cu.ft of gas on couple :40 min dives ;-)

Off to Presqe Isle next week, where the schooners are so intact you can swim through the cabins and see rigging and masts standing!

Good diving

Deep Thought
The best dives I've done in Lake Michigan have been from a boat.  But I've also had decent vis on shallow shore dives in Door County.  The lake side is usually has better vis than the bay side (they call it Green Bay for a reason).  The fleetwing is kind of a fun easy dive at the tip of Door County.  One of the other things I like about Lake Michigan is that you usually see more fish than Superior. Smile
I'm out working in Sheboygan and one of my divers just told me there was a death on one of the wrecks in the area. 

There aren't any details yet, but he was asked if he would do the recovery from 300 feet.  He declined.

I did a trip to St Ignace last summer. It's a long drive but the wrecks there were fabulous. The Eber Ward, we had around 80 to 90 feet of vis. And the deeper stuff isn't covered too bad with zebra mussels either.