MNScuba.com

Full Version: Spearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, new to the site and am glad I found it. I've been certified for 15 years but finally bought all my gear two months ago and am having a blast. Quick question for MN laws. What can we legally shoot with spear guns in MN? I've tried hard to find the answer elsewhere but was hoping some of you would know. Thanks!
In the 2009 Mn Fishing Regulations book,  (or Web site )

page 59: Spearing season Sunrise to sunset May 1,2009 to the last sunday in February.

"Licensed anglers and children under 16 may take rough fish by  spearing, harpooning, archery, and hand-held dip nets on all inland waters, except where the taking of rough fish  is prohibited.  All rough fish, except cisco(tullibee), may be bought and sold.

Harpoons (spears) must have a tethered line not more than 20 feet long, may be discharged only when the equipment and the operator are entirely under the surface of the water, and may not be used within 1,000 feet of a swimming beach."

This is only a partial copy of the info!!!

Pick up a copy of the Fishing Regulations wherever fishing licenses are sold. 

Hope this helps!!
you need to have a dive flag too, and I think there's a minimum size it needs to be.  I think you'll have better luck if you go without the tanks, but maybe that's just me.
Fred
Now for the "What" part of your question....Rough fish are defined as Carp, Buffalo, sucker, sheephead, bowfin, burbot, cisco, gar, goldeye and bullhead.

Go for the bullhead, they taste best!  Big Grin
Was up last week in the mines in Crosby last week and some of them are thick with carp and suckers, would be good to thin them to make space and weedbeds for the trout.    Terry
Awesome, thanks for the info and I'll check the lawbook for the full definition. Awesome stringer full freediver. I've been freediving for 20 years and have shot alot of nice roughfish but now with the gear it should be interesting. Smoked carp is great! I saw a walleye last weekend and it was much spookier with the scuba equipment compared to freediving. I'm really glad to hear that burbot is a roughfish, they're one of the best eating fish in MN. Anybody have any ideas on where they like to hangout in the summer? We catch them through the ice on lake of the woods but never in the summer. I've heard they go to deep water in the summer.
Looks like winter is the only time to get them...

Maybe try a night dive on the Maderia on the north shore?
You could get some pout during the summer. I have seen a couple brutes already this year. Typically, I see a dozen or so a year.

Deep in the summer; shallow spring and fall. Cold water is the key.

They would not be much sport during the day however. Pretty motionless and usually don't move until you touch them. Not much challenge but they are great to eat.
Great info, thanks!