MNScuba.com

Full Version: Battle Lake MN?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lynnlchan

Has anyone dove this lake? It's in Battle Lake outside of Fergus Falls.
I believe this is the lake that is suppose to have something similar to live coral. I do not know the details, but am curious.
Mcdiver, do you know anything about this coral? I was diving a few weeks ago on a sunken island and there were "black rocks" all around the island that looked just like coral. Clearwater lake is supposed to have freshwater coral in it but I don't really know what to look for.
I haven't seen any stromatalytes in Battle Lake, but I've only dove a couple small portions of it.  I think you may be thinking of Eagle, which is south of Battle Lake on Hwy 78.  Another place to see the so-called "fresh water coral" is in Pebble lake in Fergus Falls.  It's actually an algae that coats the rocks at around 30 feet and can be found straight out from the DeLagoon boat launch.

Battle has some structure and a fairly sandy bottom on the west side.  If you get over to the bays on the east, it is more shallow muck.  Visibility varied, not very good all around.  Lots of anchors and fish house debris.  But I just dove from shore, I don't know what's out there in the wilderness.

Another lake in the area that is popular is Clitheral, just south of Battle.