MNScuba.com

Full Version: Straits of Mackinac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im looking to do some wreck diving in the Straits of Mackinac. Any charter operations that people have had success with?
Dove last year with "Straits SCUBA". We did get weathered out on the last day. No complaints with the operation. We stayed at the "Driftwood Motel". It a very basic room, but the price was right. The room had a fridge, also a nice restaurant / bar attached, with live music some nights. The most convenient part is that it is directly across the street from the dock. 

The Straits is dandy good diving, especially the Sandusky, the Minneapolis, immediately under the bridge, the Cedarville and the Wm. Barnum. We stayed at a campground in Mackinaw City JUST east of the bridge, and dove from my boat. Almost every wreck we looked for was bouyed, making it easier. I never dove their with any operators, but if your bringing a boat the Nordmer is a dandy wreck too south just North of Alpena/Thunder Bay.

Just make sure that you bring everything that you need (and extras). The nearest dive shop that has actual equipment or spare parts is in Travers City I believe

Just make sure that you bring everything that you need (and extras). The nearest dive shop that has actual equipment or spare parts is in Travers City I believe
[/quote]

Good point Pitbull. I forgot to mention that. "Straits Scuba" has a shop on the pier, but very limited (next to nothing) for equipment. He does do air fills and he was planning to start filling Nitrox this year (not sure if he completed that addition). The shop is not routinely staffed, so if you aren't diving with him, you would have to try and contact him and find out when someone is at the shop to do your fills.
I dove with Larry at Straits Scuba last year too. Did the EberWard, Sandusky, William Young, and Barnum. The Eber Ward was spectacular.

The diving there IS spectacular. As others have mentioned though, the weather is unpredictable. You will want to plan for enough dive days to compensate for possibly being "blown off" the lake at least once during your visit.  The Driftwood Motel is a nice place to stay. It is worth getting there early on Friday to party with the locals at the hotel bar on Friday night. It can get pretty interesting. No matter where you go to eat, the "White Fish Bites" are worth the trip up there.
Thanks for all the info. I contacted Larry with Straits Scuba and got something worked out. 
Remember to let us know how it goes!