MNScuba.com

Full Version: It won't happen to me!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I pulled a rookie mistake. My fire chief is a divemaster and he warned me to clean my ears out after each dive. I dove at Hayes lake this past weekend, kind of a dirty lake, and I ended up with double ear infections and a wicked soar throat to go with it.
Doctor bill, haven't seen it yet but around $200...
Prescription for anitibiotics $20
31 year old ego-"it won't happen to me"-lesson learned...PRICELESS

I bought a bottle of swimmer ear with the anitbiotic. Any other rookies out there, CLEAN YOUR EARS OUT WHEN YOU'RE DONE DIVING!
If I would of used swimmer ear or something like it would it have prevented the awesome pain that goes with double ear infection? Anybody else have tricks for preventing it?
Diverqueen told me about the homemade solution of vinegar and rubbing alcohol for that purpose.  I have not yet tried it, but she says it works.
Yep, mix it at a 1:1 ratio. It stinks and burns a bit, but sure beats what bowman went though.  Wink
Homemade formula of vinegar and alcohol works wonders! Hydrogen peroxide also works.
Agree with everyone else here. I always bring a bottle of ear beer (alcohol/vinegar).
I can claim some expertise at getting ear infections.  I spend 30 to 40 hours per week in very dirty water.  I used to get ear infections every other week, or whenever I was greedy enough to dive three tanks a day. 

DQ's 'drunken pickle' solution works pretty well as a preventitive and I keep a bottle in the truck. But whenever I get that first little itch now I rub down my earlobes with Neosporin or a generic version of it.  I noticed that the active ingredients were the same as the $100 bottle of prescription ear drops for about six bucks. 

I haven't had a full blown infection since starting that last year.

White vinegar is what I use, mixed with rubbing alcohol.
Ballfrog,
So, you rub the antibiotic ointment on your earlobes? Nothing inside the canal? Just want to make sure I understand to prevent it from happening again.
I freedove our local river this weekend, came nose to nose with about a 30 pound snapper turtle, but was worried about getting the infection again after just getting over it. I used "swimmer ear" and all seems to be good so far.
Thanks
The alcohol solutions go in the ear to dry the water out.  I just put the antibiotic on the earlobe and back of the ear, nothing in the canal other that what rubs off my finger. It's not good to stick things in there.  I used to squirt some of the antibiotic+pain creme stuff in, but it seemed to form a plug and the crackling drove me crazy.

I'm not a doctor, but did check it out with my doc, who said it was a good idea, as was the alcohol to keep it dry.  He said my hood actually probably contributed to problems by trapping water in the ears.  Keep them drained and dry.  The alcohol is the first line of defense.
And if only I practiced what I preach...I've been using the vinegar/alcohol "Drunken Pickle" since I saw the article in DAN Alert Diver magazine about a year ago.  Wednesday, July 15th I did a dive, Saturday the 18th I was running a low grade fever.  Yep, sinus and ear infection!  Good old Zithromax and I'm good as new!  ($12 prescription, $25 co-pay.)  :Smile
Pages: 1 2