MNScuba.com

Full Version: Anybody make their own weights?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there anybody on the board who makes their own weights?? I got 100+lbs of lead that I want to melt down into some scuba weights. I am sure I could bumble my way through it and figure it out but I thought it would be worth asking if there is anybody on here who makes their own and would be willing to show me how they do it. I would be willing to leet you keep some in exchange!

Thedecostop has a homebrewed gear section that included weights at one time. My casting suffer from lead oxid because I don't dross and poor to quickly but I've never had a poor fail so I consider it a crusty "I can clean that"  win.

I have made a couple different types - the ones I actually melted lead for were pretty much just crude blocks of lead for stuffing into my integrated pouches.  buddy and I also sewed up some soft pouches out of ballistic nylon to fill with lead shot (just bough a #25 bag and we had plenty of shot for several pouches each.  I also poured a weight to attach to the bottom of a dive flag to make my own float (wanted a bigger flag than standard to appease my mother since I was doing so many solo dives at her place).  

my technique was pretty simple and crude - I put a coffee can on top of the camp stove and cranked the heat.  also had the MAPP gas torch going to assist the camp stove.  had made a mold out of some wood blocks and lined the cavities with alumminum foil to help stuff from leaking out thru the cracks.  got the lead melted, grabbed the can with a vise-grip and poured (had squeezed the can prior to heating to make a pour spout corner).  I'd suggest working outside at a picnic table to avoid fumes and/or fire hazards!  if you're looking for better-looking results, you could look on-line for actual molds!  I wasn't worried about appearance, only function - and a hunk of lead is a hunk of lead!

my molds did smolder/scorch from the heat - but were good enough for the number of pours I was planning.  it might be better to do a sand-cast type of effort if you're going for more than a couple runs.  back in high school, we made casting sand by getting some fine clean sand spread out on the floor, then sprayed motor oil on it thru a paint sprayer to get the right mist action, then rake the sand around to get everything coated good.  I'm sure there are better products available, but I'm basically a cheap sob when it comes to DIY projects - it just seems like more fun that way!

have fun and be safe - eye protection is strongly suggested, as well as gloves!

I make my own weights.  Have molds for 2#,3#,4#,5#,6#,10# block weights, and 2# bullet weights one with clip and one without.
Robert (scubafreek864) makes some awfully nice weights. I'm sure he got a kick out my mouth hitting the floor when he told me he made them  ;D  I'm a real detailed oriented person and didn't see any flaws. They have the holes for a weight belt and are smooth. Best yet the larger # are curved.
same here, make my own 2# weights, most of them turn out real nice.  I use old wheel balancing weights.  I use an acetylene torch and an old deep fry pan to melt the lead in, scrape off the junk, and pour the molten lead into the mold.  I soot up the mold so that it releases a bit easier but it is still a bit of a of trick to get the mold the right temp for a clean cast and easy removal of the weight.
Here is what I am thinking I will try. Since the weights are for my intergrated pockets I was gonna use a pipe (1.5 inch or so) as a mold then I can cut the weight to length to get the desired weight. I can then dip the weights in the stuff you recoat tool handles in to give them a "finished" look. If I use a steel pipe as a mold the lead should release easily right??

Unless Robert wants to put on a class that is...................
Just remember to use the Lowest possible melting point and Ventilate Very Well.Otherwise you will be breathing lead vapors.I have a smelter with an adjustable dial.It has a lever that pours it from the bottom and the impurities stay in the smelter.

Cut your mold/pipe in half and clamp it together..  it'll be a lot easier to remove the fabricated weight.
Great idea! I think Monday will be spent trying this. Wish me luck.

There is something satisfying about making something versus buying it. For me anyway at least........
Pages: 1 2