MNScuba.com

Full Version: Little Long Lake (Hennipen county)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Terry and I had a chance to get out diving on Saturday before the storm rolled in.  Only had time for one dive, but was well worth it.  On the way back from the camp across the lake, got to see a fish I have never seen before.  On the bottom in about 20ft. was a very large northern.  If I were to guess the size/length it would be 30-34" with a weight of around 10-12lbs.  This was not your ordinary northern.  When we got closer, it looked to be dying, or dead.  This northern was as white as a ghost.  I would have to say it was an albino northern. I went a little closer, it was sitting right on the bottom, still upright, not flat on the side like most dead ones.  I didn't see any moving fins, so went to touch the tail fin.  Well it wasn't dead.  It took off like a rocket.  I unfortunately didn't have my camera at the time, and still regret it today.  It just sat there.  More than enough time for me to take a pic.  I will have to go back, and see if it came back to the same area.  I know that northern are territorial, and more than likely will have returned after we left.

Has anyone else had luck in taking a pic of an albino fish?
It sounds like you saw an uncommon Silver Northern Pike..  lucky you!

I have dove little long lake for many years and its a fun lake. If you go south from the dnr boat lanch and around the point, the bottom becomes sandy and gravel.
I have a DNR map of the lake.
grumpie

I agree Grumpie, it had been more then 20 years since I last dove it, and even on a stormy night like last Sat it was dandy! Of course when you compare it to Lake St. Joe that Robert and I hit earlier in the day, (what a MUDHOLE!) it looked all the better.

This didn't look like the pike we saw.  You could still make out the markings on the sides. 

Hopefully we can get to see it again, and this time I will not go into the lake without my camera.