MNScuba.com

Full Version: North Shore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking for diving options on the North Shore.  I do not have a boat, so I am looking for options for shore dives.  I know about the Madera, but looking for more options.  Anyone have any other ideas?
The Hespers a decent dive in Silver Bay for those lacking a boat, from the marina just south of town, go out the breakwater, you can drive out to unload your gear but then need to park back in the actual lot. On the north side of the breakwater, you'll see a path over the rocks down to the water, then you'll see bouys on the wreck itself, not too bad a swim. Much like the Madiera though it can be tricky getting back on shore if the waves are very big, especially from the North. PM me if you need more info.      Terry

Do the dive at Gooseberry Falls.  You can do a giant stride right into 25ft. of water.  Nice walk down the lava flow to the lake.  Plenty of picnic table to set up gear on, and camping close by.  Not that bad of a walk with the gear either.

I live in Two Harbors and own a boat if your interested in diving the shipwreck Ely. Pm  me if interested
I have not done as much diving up the north shore as I would have liked to. I have dove the Gooseberry Falls area. There are some monster boulders near there and some scattered boards from who knows what on the bottom.
I have also dove the Hesper and the Madeira wrecks. These were very good dives and If you don't dive anywhere else, you need to dive these at least once.
I have also dove a small natural cave near Tettagouche State park. This is the Cave of the Winds dive site. It is a nice shore dive but the steep hill to the lake is a killer (almost). Here is a link to a post I started that has some info about it:

Here is another link to a post that has some very good maps:

If you are really interested in diving up there you should pick up this book by Steven Daniel called "A Divers Guide to Shipwrecks Along the North Shore" It has a ton of info about possible dive sites. Some are deep, some you need a boat, but many are just shore dives. Hope this helps...

John
a few other locations to check out:

1. the old pier behind fitgers brewery (if you go straight down to the water from the veterans memorial on the board walk) you can see the old pier it runs out to a red bouy fairly shallow 20-25ft or so there are breaks in the sections so keep going a bit when it stops and you should pick it back up.
2. the break wall in two harbors go down to the public access where the ships dock if you walk out on the break wall and jump off on the lake side its a nice dive big boulders along the wall. lures and coins careful on the lures often have line attached and you cant see it you can jump off anywhere along the wall but the further you go the deeper it will be at the very end which is a hike all suited up its about 70 ft if i remember (maybe not quite that deep)
3. Brighton Beach.