MNScuba.com

Full Version: Hooka Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Forgive me for intruding as I am not a diver. I do own a boat and have decided to buy equipment that will allow me to dive the bottom of the boat. I did this for safety reasons. If I catch a lobster pot warp or a mooring line, I need to be able to get under the boat and get it off. I also would like to be able to clean the bottom and do little maintenance things like replace zincs. The boat operates in ME to RI. Water temps in the spring are easily down to 45 degrees. The boat draws 4' and I'm not going any deeper.

Here is my thinking. I will get a 7mm suit, hood, glove, boots, fins, mask, weight belt and a 12 volt hooka dive system . I have found the Powerdive Deck Snorkel that seems right for me.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you have, especcially any first hand experience with hooka systems and Powerdive Deck Snorkel in particular.

Thanks for your time.

I personally haven't used one, but Hookah systems are very common in the golf ball recovery business and I've worked with people that use them.  Often, the ponds are little more than six feet deep and they are ideal for that kind of shallow work.  One of my recovery co-horts also does some yacht cleaning and uses a Hooka for that.

I think what you are proposing will work fine for what you plan to do, but be aware that the first time you or a friend drops something valuable overboard, or you drop your tools while working on the boat, you WILL want to go deeper than the four feet. Wink

The seven mil won't give you a lot of time in 45 degree water, but you'd be able to clear a line.  Will you be out there alone, or have some backup on the boat for getting back on board?
I also have a hunch that once you get the mask on and get under your boat one time you will get a rare malady called diving fever. Yes it can happen to you, The symptoms can start out by switching from taking showers to baths. Then You add more and more water to the tub so you can get your head under. After these symptoms occur you should seek immediate attention of the nearest dive shop and buy a tank or two because you have it bad. Smile I think you will be happier in the long run on scuba but if you start with Hookah and switch later then you could always sell the hookah. I have never tried hookah but Scuba may be overkill for your application. I think dollar for dollar the dive certification and used scuba gear would cost about the same as a hookah setup...
There are a few reasons that hookah seems to be more attractive. First, cleaning the bottom of a 52' boat is a lengthy endeavor. I would be working and I have a body full of fast twitch muscle. The only time I scuba dived, I used my air more quickly than the others.

Part of our retirement plan is to travel with the boat throughout Europe. I have been told that the tank would need recertification. It all just seemed too complicated. Lastly I have a wife (maybe that isn't phrased exactly right). She does not want to dive and that is the end of that.

Thanks for your thoughts.
When you are working, you will use air up quicker, but you'll learn to use less air with experience.  There are bigger tanks available too.  I use a HP100 and I know singles go up to at least 130.  I am in that process of learning to control my breathing rate now.  I used to use double my wife and now I am about 20-30% more so I'm doing better.

Tanks need a visual inspection every year but don't need to be tested but every 5 years.  IMHO, testing isn't a big deal.

Your wife doesn't need to dive.  You'll be at the same risk alone under the boat on a hooka or a tank so there isn't a difference there.  With scuba, you can always join a dive boat and go out for some diving in interesting ports while your wife gets a massage.