MNScuba.com

Full Version: Wreck moorings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

Just wondering, on wrecks like the Mayflower or lets say the Wallace in Lake Superior. Are there mooring buoys installed, then sunk down to about 20-30ft. That divers would have to go down and grab. Or are the wrecks hooked?

Hooking into the wrecks just seems like it could do damage. Anyone have an answer?

Thank, Al

Al,
                            Many deep wrecks like the Kamloops, on Isle Royale, are bouyed beneith the surface, (requiring a diver be put in the water to tie on your boat to) this keeps divers who may not even know, what wreck there diving from going down on a deep wreck but also keeps boats from attempting to "hook" a deep wreck, easily inflicting damage on wooden hulls.    TRINITY
Yeah, been to the Kamloops a couple of time. Guess I should of asked my question better.

Does any one know if there are buoy's on the Wallace and the Mayflower? How about the Onoko.

Thanks everyone, Al
There are no buoys on the Mayflower, Adams, or Wilson.  There's been talk of a buoy on the Wilson, but the large ships anchor out there, and ultimately end up dragging their anchors into the wreck. 
Al
There are two lines on the Wallace with floats at 40 ft.
And there is one line on the Mayflower with a float at 40 ft.
There is a line on the Onoko but I don't know if it has a jug on it.
Bob
Mooring wrecks is important to prevent damage caused by hooking with a grapple/anchor, however mooring practices vary greatly by location.   The best mooring are put on by concerned divers who dive new wrecks for first time,  National Park Service, or shipwreck groups like GLSPS.  The other primary party responsible for moorings is charter operators which run the spectrum from "clothes line" I would be afraid to tie a canoe to, and charter operators who contribute a lot of time/resources/money to ensure quality moorings for their benefit as well as general public.   I am just returning from Lk Michigan mooring wrecks with a diver from Chicago who has perfected a quality mooring from Lk Michigan, Huron, Superior.    When I  dived on the Hart last month, I only had one dive and I attempted to finish putting a sub float on mooring Kraig and I installed last year - no luck, it will have to wait till next year (volunteers, volunteers???)
I know that wrecks like Onoko (others) have been moored by Sponge boB and self, but due to wave action or fishing the float jugs/lines get trashed.  It takes constant maintenance and divers willing to work.  It's ironic in Mke where some wrecks have mooring lines that have either sunk or tag line sits weighted below at 20 sub float, that nobody has retrieved these and the season is almost over?  Next season I plan to donate several dives to cleaning wrecks of cra ppy, broken, zebra clogged lines and installing new moorings.  The key is: length of chain, shackle, eye, hardware, 5/8-3/4 three strand poly, large loop in end line for jug, heavy duty 10-15 gal. jug, short Y line with loop, and 1/2-5/8 tag line of 30-40 ft that has a small subfloat at 10-20 depth, braided eye for boat tie off and bright laundry jug foam filled for surface marker.  Good news is that a diver who feels comfortable solo diving has unlimited diving opportunities by volunteering their time to charter operators who value good moorings. 

Ron
Ron, why dont you put a drawing on here so that we can see what it looks like. Maybe some of it could be prefabed before hand.
Great help, Thanks guys. I'm guessing spotting these floats at 40ft can be a pain, even for a diver in the water.
Help putting a line on the "Hart" I'll sign up for that duty.

Later, Al
.  First off, I'm not driving and texting....hmmm, second lie is yes I'm a computer savy guy that can handle putting a drawing online :-( The ideas are really TX's experience doing several mooring on wrecks from 120-360 ffw.  But I'll try the drawing if one of my girls loans me a crayon.

Good diving
Al
You have to put the floats at 40ft.
If you don't you stand a chance of having  one of those 1000ft mobile islands ripping it off.
Bob
Pages: 1 2 3