MNScuba.com

Full Version: Multi location diving preventing Exotic infestations spred by wetsuits and boats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has there been much disscusion on the spread of exotic algae via wetsuits and multiple dive days. i know many people take pride in how many lakes they can dive in a day. but do we take the needed precautions in spreading aquatic organisms? there is one particular bad filimentatous algae that is an exotic that should be prevented from spreading. we have been taking multiple wet suits with us, and attempt to switch into new suits when we enter i new waterway, i also prefer if exotics are an issue, to start the day at the headwaters of a system and work my way down a lake/ stream system.

any thoughts?
It's definitely something to keep an eye out for. It can be a bad deal if it happens. With only one tank it's something I won't have to worry about, but hopefully next season I'll own two and I've never thought about it but I will now. Thanks
my group is mostly feedivers, so we road trip and jump several spots a day, doing sometimes 6 spots a weekend.  the shorties dry out quick and probably arent much of a problem. we try to start from the most isolated water upstream and work our way down a waterway finaly ending up in exotic infested waterways at the end of our session.but were dragging with us what turns out to be litteraly a ton of wetsuits. then getting back home weve got suits hanging from every doorway and gloves and shoes all over the place. it has actualy become such a problem, that i think im going to have to build a dedicated drying room for our suits, and a dedicated glove and shoe drying rack with some kind of blower attached.