MNScuba.com

Full Version: Service now or later
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought our regs last summer after we finished our OW class so they have about 2 seasons of use on them.  They should probably go in for servicing before next season, so here is the question: should I send them in as soon as I'm done for the year?  or should I want and send them in next spring right before using them again?  does it matter at all?
Your regulator, and BC should be serviced every year.  Remember that that is your life line down under.  I am getting mine serviced every year, and suggest you should do the same.  Hate to see anything happen with you.
I'm still young enough to be invincible, don't have to worry about me Smile

I intend to get them serviced - my question was whether to do it at the end of the season or right before the beginning of the next.
If you do it now, then you can go next spring when ever you get the dry feeling.
if you have it done now, you should also beat the spring rush for service!  (or get caught in the fall/winter - do it before the warm water trip rush... ;D )
Ether way, you'll want to do a check out dive after service so allow time before a 'big' dive. This isn't to say service isn't good but it was taken apart and put together and others can testify that it isn't always perfect.

bluefins

Really good question mattd!  I was wondering the same thing myself.
Good point arc flash.

I don't have too many dives left in me this year (afraid of the cold), but I am thinking about trying an ice dive this winter.  The last thing I want is to have a reg failure under the ice so I think I'll wait to get it done till after that if I do it.  If I sent them in in the next few weeks, I probably wouldn't be diving again before that.
Some manufactures provide free parts during servicing if you bring them to the dealer every year, this keeps the parts guarantee valid.  Its kind of a catch 22, if you bring them in every year there is the expense of servicing but you qualify for free manufacture parts, if you wait you can save money up front and pay later in parts if needed.  Sometimes the parts can be $$.  Ask the dealer where you purchased and see how strict the policy is, and if they offer a frequent service policy to make it cost effective to bring it in annually.  Regulators are pretty darn durable and unless you really flood them in salt water, they can *(depending on quantity of dives or use) go for years without parts kits.  Rinse them properly to get rid of the sand, muck, etc, and to play it safe - Never Diving In Salt Water - Go Fresh  ;D

Deep Thought

I agree with Tullibee. Your LDC where you bought your reg will be Yoany roublew with my rig after having it serviced. Your first dive of the season is usually an easy check out dive. Checking out what kind of shape you & your equipment are in.
Pages: 1 2