MNScuba.com

Full Version: Buying air tanks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm looking at picking up acouple of aluminum tanks.  I've found some used ones, but online I see alot of people saying to stay away from used.. So, my question is.. Which shops locally have the best deals for new tanks?  Either in "free" refills included with tanks, or any other specials they may have.

Thanks
Buy used tanks from dive shops. They turn over rental tanks every few years.

I got 8 from Scuba center but the sale is only once a year.

I got 2 from a poster on this board that I trusted.
I've heard about some issues with the alloy in some older aluminum tanks.  I haven't read up on it because I've decided that I love my steel tanks and that's all I'll be buying in the future.

There are tons of them on craigslist and other places that have barely been used.  If it passes hydro and VIP and the price is right, I don't see what else there is to be concerned about.

Remember that you'll have to spend a bit of money on O2 cleaning if you want nitrox in them.  Its not a lot, but can add up if you are talking about multiple tanks.
Depending on the shop, you only need O2 clean for mixes >40%. Below that you just need a content label. Many shops have a premix in the 30-40% range that can go right into any tank. It they blend in the tank, you'll need a clean tank.

I have one Nitrox labeled tank that is not O2 clean. I use it when I expect to get fills from non clean sources but may want EAN32 on occasion.
I've discovered that some shops that bank it below 40 still require it to be o2 clean because they switch over to partial pressure filling when their banks get low and they can't fill my high pressure tanks to capacity on the bank anymore.  It makes sense from a process standpoint because when they are looking at a stack of tanks, how else would they know which they can blend in teh tank and which have to come off the bank.

So, they want you to have an O2 clean valve before putting a nitrox sticker on it.  It makes sense and then you are covered if you are at a site that doesn't have banked air for you.
We're off the topic but I can see that. I think they just want to make a buck cleaning. It's correct you can't blend in the tank but then they should just fill the banks and not make us pay because they ran out. Unless you can dedicate a tank, 02 clean is a pain if you want fills from portable compressors or small shops that are not 02 clean (if any)

I would buy tanks locally and at a minimum, get a vip. Most people selling tanks provide that warranty.

mermaid

What is a "bank" and a "vip"  ???  (yes, I'm still a guppy  Tongue )
A bank is those big tall cylinders the shop will fill your tank from.  Some shops keep a set for air and a set for nitrox at a premix (usually 32).

VIP is a visual inspection.  You should have gone over that in open water class.  Every tank should have a hydro test done with the year stamped into the cylinder every 5 years.  It should also have a visual inspection of the inside every year.  There should be a sticker with the month and year of the visual inspection on it.

When I bought my steel tanks, they were out of hydro.  I agreed to pay the hydro and once they came back ok, then pay for them.  That worked for both me and the seller.

mermaid

Oops. I forgot what the vip was...we did go over that.  :Smile
[quote author=arcFlash link=topic=5768.msg31921#msg31921 date=1256308612]
Buy used tanks from dive shops. They turn over rental tanks every few years.

I got 8 from Scuba center but the sale is only once a year.

I got 2 from a poster on this board that I trusted.

Scuba Center has their used gear sale going on thru tomorrow.  See the Dive Shop Events forum.
Pages: 1 2 3