MNScuba.com

Full Version: Mares Icon HD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Have any of you ever heard of a Mares Icon HD dive computer? My mom just got back from Ireland. She brought me back an Irish dive magazine with an add for this computer in it. I googled it and the computer is impressive looking. Pricey but cool. The non air integrated model is about $1100 to $1200. The Air integrated model is not available until Spring of 2010. Here is a link to more info:

I think it's awful and expensive. It's probably running some form of Windows so it can't be trusted and if they let you load pictures and stuff you'll need to run some kind of viewer and that's more software upgrades and patching and virus scanning. Probably need a pop-up blocker and anti-adware. It's going to ask you "Updates are ready would you like to restart now?" in the middle of a dive.

All things considered, I'll take a simple closed system computer that runs firmware on the metal for $300.
So your telling me that its not important to you to check your e-mail during a dive?... ;D

DetectorGuy - to avoid crap responses like the above, you should be asking the board if anyone "has ever dove with this computer and what their thoughts are" (it's all in the wording).  Otherwise you will get bias, uninformed, responses.  Dive with equipment that meets "your" needs / profiles.  If you have a technical question, the best place to start is your LDS.
There's a full review of it in a diver magazine I picked up this week at the store.  Its on the cover front and center.
"avoid crap responses like the above"
So how long have you worked for Mares?

It's an honest response. Read A Baker's Dozen: Problems With Computer Diving

Last paragraph of this page.

Sure, it does all kinds of cool things that do nothing you need. You're brainwashed thinking your LDS is the only place you can trust.

This quote is from the Mares page
"This gear line is designed specifically for women in style..."

"Integrated interface: a reprogrammable processor with a rewritable chip for software upgrades."

I'm not looking for a new computer and I do like the simplicity of the Tusa IQ700. So much so that if I had the chance I would dump my SUUNTO Vyper and get another TUSA IQ700. For a while, I thought it would be nice to get a second opinion during a dive from reading two separate computers, but now I think that the Tusa is so simple to get data from that I never even look at the Vyper. I like the idea of having two computers on during dives in case one takes a dump. The Mares Icon is a trinket deal. I may be just jealous of people that have integrated air and electronic compasses... but when that tiny battery goes dead... you could be the next thing that goes dead. I do like the fact that technology is accelerating in the modern dive gear (but so is the price of dive gear unfortunately). There is a lot to be said about KISS. Hmmmm... I wonder how many people are using dive tables anymore... I wonder how many people use the counter-clockwise rotating bezel on their fancy dive watches for actual diving anymore... For that matter I wonder how many people log their dives anymore... I wonder how many people are still using "j-valves" instead of a SPG... For all the things I wonder about, its a wonder that I get anything done at all  Smile
DetectorGuy - I'm picking up what your laying down!  Wink

Just don't step in it... most of what I say is BS to get people debating.
Don't work for Mares, highly doubt they have ever been on or heard of this website.
The link is an honest GUE / DIR response.....enough said.
I didn't say the LDS was the only place you can trust, I said check with them for the technical information.
Pages: 1 2 3 4