MNScuba.com

Full Version: thailand ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can anyone tell me what the shore diving might be like anywhere in thailand.  I'm seeing cheap tickets and it's getting friggen' cold around here.
Fred
Hello Fred,
The reason prices are really cheap is because of the recent protests in Thailand.  ALSO.. that part of the world is under considerable rebellion by anti government groups and its all very political.  Plus.... don't ever do anything illegal because  jail sucks.

Even though I go Mexico and the Bahamas, I always check the link to see whats going on.  The Embassy people protect themselves first, so if generally if they are sending they're family members home, they know they have hot bed issues. 
Here is a link to the US EMBASSY.  It was last updated today.

Hope that may shed some light.

Nicki
hi.. Thanks for your concern but... it's just not my concern.  I checked the travel advisories a week or so ago.  I've read some of the history of the country.. seems they go through a coup almost every year and seems anyone outside the realm of politics or military or other governement entities hardly notice (unless someone shuts down the airport again, which lately seems to be the action of choice, and I see by the latest advisory that it was just shut down again). 
It's like advising no travel to the U.S. after 911.  Sometimes we're under red alert, yellow alert, whatever.. out here in the flats of north dakota  life goes on.. sort of what I'm thinking would be the similar situation if I can find a good remote village or island to hang out at.
Call me crazy but I figure once the bomb has gone off, that's a good time to go look.

Actually, we visited with a class mate of my wife who owns property there yesterday and they happen to be flying to thailand the same time we're considering going.  We've been invited to spend a day or two if we make the long flight to recoup and also to meet with folks from u.s./britain who get together once a month to compare notes.  That sounds like it could be really informative as far as seeing the country but they themselves are not divers/snorkelers so that information I'm still trying to glean.

Any report on shore diving would still be appreciated.
The cheap tickets are calling...
Fred

my brother has gone there twice, and i know another guy vacationing there for 3 weeks right now

the protests are aimed at the government and not at people or tourists, so its pretty safe to go to there as much as its safe going most places... although you might have to adjust your travel arrangements if protests shut down a particular airport, like my brother had to do.

this is what I'm talkin' about...  Smile  Smile Smile  we're goin!  if there's one, there's bound to be more... have tent, will travel!   
If the primary intent of your trip is to go diving, there are much better places in the region to dive (Pulau Weh and Bunaken in Indonesia and various places in the Philippines).  The use of dynamite by Thai fishermen have kind of messed up a lot of the reefs.  That said, Thailand is one of my favorite countries to visit.  It has good infrastructure for independent travel, friendly people, and a very interesting culture. 

The diving is better on the Andaman Sea side than on the Gulf of Thailand side.  The best diving is probably the Similian Islands area, though that is best dived from the affordable liveaboards out of Khao Lak.  For shore based diving, I’ve enjoyed the diving off the small islands near Railey in Krabi.  This isn’t shore diving per se, for one actually does most of the dives off long tail boats.  Railey is also a really nice place to stay, although it is much more popular with rock climbers than divers.  The diving off Koh Phi Phi is pretty good as well. 

Have fun.  I’ve been to Thailand four times, and would love to go back some day.  - Kirk