MNScuba.com

Full Version: Star Tribune "Winter Adventure" article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My Dad just informed my that the Star Tribune newspaper gave us a bit of free advertising.  The article listed 10 cool adventures for people to do in the winter and one of them was ice diving!  For those of you who have forgotten, a newspaper is a bundle of pages which used to be delivered to people's homes and businesses listing the news from the previous day or 2.  These bundles would then be stacked in the garage and saved for later donation to the Boy Scouts.
OK,  I will give you a nice big pat on the back. :Smile
Coincidently, a pair of green snorkeling fins pops up in the Delta Airlines ad above the screen on my browser!
Having been a paper boy a few years back, I still like to read the paper. You don't have to plug it in, you can lay it down and come back later and continue to read where you left off and last but not least you can line the bird cage with it. Try and do that with your lap top.
                    (With all due respect to my friend Grumpie), hey Grump, that's not you out there every morning in my driveway is it???? :Smile,,,,,,,,The newspaper? No wonder business is down, didnt they go away with a hard wired home phone. I cant get the St. Paul Pio. Press to stop delivering that damn paper, for free! (whats that tell you?) all I ever do is pick it up off the driveway, chuck it in my work van, then throw it out when I get to work, seems like such a waste. The trees, the ink, the energy to produce, the fuel to deliver, the minimum 24 hr old news, stretching my back so early in the morning picking it up, vs news on the net? Speaking of old (est) I like Smith diving though, let us know when your ice diving, not classes, but actual thru the ice, bring up some bottles, ice chisels, maybe a motor or two, ice diving,,,,,,,,,,, THANKS!!!         TRINITY

mermaid

Unfortunately, with as dominant as news in real time is...CNN updates their news almost constantly...there are many papers that may not be around in the next two years...the following link lists 10 papers that may soon be out of business (not to mention the employees that will lose their jobs  Sad  )

Smith Diving must have some fans at the Trib.  Congrats on the good press.

The idea of paying for news is almost quaint in the digital world.  The challenge for traditional news organizations is that anybody with a mobile smartphone and twitter account is now a competitor.  Everyone is a news reporter and editor. I'm not saying all reporters are created equal but an individual now has the same sized distribution channel as a major news organization.

I buy the newspaper because my wife wants to read it. I would be perfectly happy reading the online edition.
I agree with Jason Baker,
I'd much rather have an electronic version.

I recieve the Wall St. Journal every minute of every day whenever the WSJ updates anything.  BEST OF ALL I GET IT FOR FREE... 

Not only have I not purchased a newpaper in years, I can't remember the last time I did purchase a newspaper, and I know more about whats happening in the news then most people.  The best part of it is that the WSJ is reporting that its online newspaper is MAKING MONEY.  They get ad revenue when you want to read an article.  I also get all my other info from CNBC, MSN, YAHOO, and  Google,
I agree with Trinity too.  Sorry Grumpy, but its going to be a historical moment soon.  Someday they will say, remember people use to get the newspaper.  Oh yea... I remember reading about that..IN MY ONLINE HISTORY CLASS.  lol

We can now get scuba instructions online. and its a big trend.

Good news for Smith diving on the brief but important mention.  I think any mention of scuba, or any movie scene, or commercial is good for our sport, hobby, business, or passion, whatever your word is. 

nicki
I think its cool that Smith Diving was recognized in the article. I hold the utmost respect for Smith Diving. They run a top of the line training facility and they don't get enough kudos. As far as the paper I am with Grumpie. I still get the Sunday paper for the ads. I look forward to the ads on Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee. I rarely read the articles and I rarely buy the things in the ad's, but it brings me back to a time when money was tighter and when I needed to know where I could save a buck. I rarely watch the news on any media as it is so swayed these days. I live in this sheltered little world that if it is not happening to me, my family or friends, it is none of my concern. Most of what you worry about you can not do anything about anyway. Weird right? Besides try to light a fireplace with your PDA...
Quote:Besides try to light a fireplace with your PDA...

I imagine there's an app for that....  Tongue
Pages: 1 2